Notices
924 and 931 Forum 1976-1988

924 timing belt worries

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2003 | 10:44 AM
augidog
Intermediate

Post 924 timing belt worries

I just ordered a new timing belt for my 78 924,only because their are only crap auto supplies houses around me. I'm worried about replacing it.If the engine does not move could I not just replace the belt in the same position I took it off from, or will everything roll when I remove it?
I've heard I can be off a tooth or so from tdc.I think the haynes manual does a poor job of explaining the proceedure.Once again I am looking for some tricks.The wood dowel in #1 cylinder sounds a little barbaric, but if that is what it takes I'm game. I have a growing printed portfolio of maintenance tricks from rennlist started.You guys are a great help.
Old 03-08-2003 | 01:06 PM
Dennis Wilson
Drifting

The timing belt is a fairly simple change. The Haynes manual is complete except you do NOT need to remove the pulley from the crankshaft. You will need to set your crank at TDC and check to make sure the pointer on the cam cover is even with the dot on the cam pulley. When you remove the old belt the cam pulley may move but can be moved back when the new belt is installed.

BTW the 924 NA engines are noninterference in stock form. If the belt slips or breaks it should not harm your valves.

Dennis
Old 03-10-2003 | 09:44 AM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

One word of advice, to make sure that you do not end up 1 tooth off. Make sure when installing the new belt (you have not moved the camshaft and crankshaft relative to eachother) that all slack is on the side with the tensioner. Sounds simple, but it's easy to overlook. If you have to wiggle the camshaft just a hair to get the room to install the belt (to get the teeth to line up), rotate it a hair towards the side of the belt without the tensioner. Then, when you take up the slack with the tensioner, you can be sure it'll still be properly timed. Does this make sense?

If you get it wrong (BTDT) the engine will make like 5hp.

Quick Reply: 924 timing belt worries