Engine rebuild and interior questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2002, 06:22 AM
Joe M
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Engine rebuild and interior questions

Hi there,

I am looking at a late 70's 924 with a blown motor. I would be interested in this car as a street-driveable open track / driver's event car.

Could someone give me an idea of how much it would cost to tear down this motor and rebuild it with performance upgrades, just the parts not labor.

Are there V8 conversions available for the 924? How does the cost compare to rebuilding the stock 924 motor?

How much does it cost to just buy say a 944 turbo motor outright and pop that in?

Is the later 944 dashboard/console/etc. a direct swap into the 924? - I hate that boxy dash ;-)

Thanks!

Joe
Old 05-27-2002, 11:26 AM
BigPorscheGuy39
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm not a teckkie, but I've costed some of these:

Engine swap - Expensive. Renegade Hybrids stopped doing 924 conversions. Too much effort for the payoff. But other backyard mechanics have done it. To do it is likely cheap, Adie and others have said it's in the $1000 USD range, but that's been questioned as they don't typically cost in their own labour. So if your labour doesn't matter, has no value, then parts will be your only cost. To do it right (i.e., making brake, tranny, suspension, engine upgrades), is likely expensive - commercial quotes range from $8K up. Depends on your tastes.

Souping a 924 - Cam (or gear), header, port and polish, exhaust, throttle, ignition, engine rebuild - should be do-able for $5K USD with the barest of rebuild to the basic motor (i.e., rings, bearings, new valve springs, seals, no new valves, new guides, no new pistons).

Stock rebuild, parts only, no labour? What parts exactly will you use? A 'rebuild' could mean replace one rod bearing, or a 'rebuild' could mean everything including new valves. You'll have to be more specific.

Popping a 944 Turbo motor - It's probably more expensive than just buying a 944 turbo, really.

Quick Reply: Engine rebuild and interior questions