924 and 931 Forum 1976-1988

Thinking about purchasing a 928/944

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2007, 02:30 PM
Surfer2001
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Thinking about purchasing a 928/944

Then I talked to a local repair shop and was told to stick with 911’s. The shop told me spare parts for these cars are becoming very hard to find and very expensive. They also said Porsche wants these cars off the road, and Porsche is not stocking replacement parts anymore. They went on to say that many times a repair ends up costing more than what the car is worth. What’s going on here is this true, are these cars really money pits?
Old 03-13-2007, 05:23 PM
Pizza
Addict
Rennlist Member

Don,

I have a 928S and a 924S. My 928S is heavily modified. I don't have any problems getting parts. I do all of my own work but I could see it costing a fortune to pay someone to do it for me. I don't think Porsche "wants these cars off the road". Good luck.

Charles
Old 03-14-2007, 09:01 AM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 59 Posts

Sounds like a good time to find another shop.

No, they're not that bad to find parts for. They're also not too bad to work on - maybe your shop is worried about losing some business?

I do know plenty of Porsche shops don't like to work on 944s and 924's - they'll actively discourage owners of such cars from coming in for service. It's not malicious, it's self-preserving and quite reasonable: as owners of those cars tend to have less money to spend on service (and in general), they tend to prefer not to have to deal with guys who can't afford to get the right work done completely and in a timely manner. I really don't blame them. I do all my own work myself, and encourage others to...
Old 03-28-2007, 05:11 AM
nitehawk951
Rennlist Member

I think the guy meant to say 924's, as those are the cars that need to be off the road. 944's are the %$^*.
Old 03-28-2007, 05:58 PM
ideola
Former Vendor

I own several water cooled Porsches (924, 931, 924S, 928 Euro)...the 928 is definitely the most fun. Easy to find parts for in my experience. I even have found a local repair guy who worked for Bosch in Germany for a couple of years, so anything I can't tackle myself I can still have done at a reasonable cost. Of the water cooled family, the 928 is the purest of the Porsches...in fact, some will argue that it is truly more pure Porsche than the 911, which (as sacreligious as it sounds) is as much a VW as the 924. Oops. Did I type that out loud? Anyway, get a 928. You won't regret it. Of course, a late model 951 could be lots of fun too, though I can't imagine it being that much cheaper to insure and maintain than a 928.
Old 04-10-2007, 05:10 PM
nitehawk951
Rennlist Member

It might be cheaper, might not. But 951's are certainly faster, cant deny this. But one thing you forget is the layout of the dash and cabin of the 928, the type of seats, you can tell porsche took their time. But isnt any 928 before the S4 not really worth it? I talked for a while with a car salesman who used to work at a porsche dealership and he said that the 928 was a failure because of way too many electrical problems. He said that even back then in the early 1990's up until 95' porsche would give him a margin of $30,000 to give as a discount on the 928! Granted, in his opinion the 911 was a piece as well until the 993 came out. Im not saying he was right or wrong, made some good points though. But he said the 944/951 sold very well, then sales slowed down with the 968.
My 951 is the $%&*.
Old 04-10-2007, 07:06 PM
ideola
Former Vendor

But 951's are certainly faster, cant deny this.
Umm...sure I can...as we say here in the motor city, there's no replacement for displacement. In stock form? In prepped form? Quarter-mile times? Road racing? Anything you do to your 944, I can do to my 928 and make it faster. Guaranteed.

All of the early water cooled cars had electrics problems. It wasn't isolated to the 928. The only difference is that the 928 was more complex so the electrics can be a bit more troublesome to chase down. But electrics are electrics...clean the grounds and eliminate moisture, plain and simple.

any 928 before the S4 not really worth it
I picked up my 80 shark for less than I could acquire a decent 944, let alone a 951. Worth it? You bet. I'll take my 8 cylinders and stock-form 167-mph top speed any day over your 944 Just wait till I get the hybrid motor installed (4.7L euro head mated to 5.0 short block). And the 4.5L euro that's coming out of it will make a great platform for a supercharged shark later on. Granted, it would be nice to 32V heads, BUT those come at a price, and bang for the buck, well, I could build two of my cars for the same price it would take to acquire an S4. So yeah I think it's worth it.
Old 04-10-2007, 07:12 PM
dime1622
I never notice, anyway
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nitehawk951
But he said the 944/951 sold very well, then sales slowed down with the 968.
Your information source is WAY off. As are the rest of your posts.
Old 04-10-2007, 11:15 PM
nitehawk951
Rennlist Member

Dime1622 your just upset because I said your 944 was an ugly color the other day lol, and whats sad is you changed your avatar just to try and disguise yourself. Well it made me hungry so I'll cya.
By the way, if everything I said was wrong than that means you hate your 951 , so hang your head in shame.
Old 04-10-2007, 11:52 PM
dime1622
I never notice, anyway
Rennlist Member

I never saw the post about my car's color, although you've now made me curious as to what you said. I changed my avatar because I do that from time to time, like most people. I DID, however, see your dozens of other inflammatory posts towards other people on the board. Frankly, it's bull****. Play nice towards other people or GTFO.
Old 04-11-2007, 12:17 AM
dime1622
I never notice, anyway
Rennlist Member

So, to make my point:

You rag on other peoples' Porsches:
Lol someone finally found good use out of a 924
I feel bad for 924 owners.
That plaid is so nasty, I feel bad for those that must be behind the wheel of such a fine automobile and in the seat made of an old scottish kilt.

Thank god for black interior.
Its not worth it. No 924 is worth anything no matter how much you think it can beat or resemble a 944/951.
I think the guy meant to say 924's, as those are the cars that need to be off the road. 944's are the %$^*.
LOL you guys like 924's
Think about it man, its more convenient to get an 86', 87', even an average looking 88'. Its your best bet. Or if it is an ugly color like bills and it doesnt matter then just do it... There is an 89' in california with a little over 5k on it for sale, $25,000, beautiful 11 out of 10. Black on black. Would you track that??? If you say yes, you have the mind of a chevy.

You get pissy after I call you out for being a jackass:
Wow these are some of the most beautiful 944's Ive ever seen, except for dime1622's
Dime1622 your just upset because I said your 944 was an ugly color the other day lol, and whats sad is you changed your avatar just to try and disguise yourself. Well it made me hungry so I'll cya.
By the way, if everything I said was wrong than that means you hate your 951 , so hang your head in shame.

You laugh at people for asking an honest question about their cars:
Wow what a stupid question.
Oh sorry just cant stop.

You pick fights with people:
m42racer, lol yea right. Your trying to justify getting ripped off and you love it. You wore out this thread by trying to have a pissing contest with bill and lost. This is what you should look like about now.
m42racer, my 951 is nicer than yours.
Bearone, and for all of you seasoned vets. If your timing belt snaps because you put it off, YOUR AN IDIOT. And you deserve the huge bill to teach you a lesson to not be dumb. Only a complete moron would put that off . I dont care what anyone here says, your in denial if you disagree that these cars are notorius for their timing belt breaking and causing damage to the valves. In knowing this, one should practice PREVENTIVE MAINTENANCE. I must completely agree with xsboost90. Spend the $200 instead of the $2000. And furthermore, these great machines are not high maintenance, they are simply strict maintenance. Meaning that if you put things off, much more will go wrong. This rant is dedicated to all the seasoned, slow minded chimps that put things off on their 944's, 951's and any high performance german machine for that matter. Except anything VW, their all crap. Thank you.
Did any of you see that post a few days ago about the 89 turbo for sale in Utah for $1800! Well, turns out it is actually a 87' with a snapped timing belt. The owner was a total moron, I talked to him personally, and wow. There should be a law banning certain people from owning these cars. The guy supposedly did 2K worth of work in 1 year of ownership but apparently never had the belt changed. He said he thought it was every 60k that it had to be replaced. He said his mechanic mentioned it to him the last time but said he would do it later. I could have cracked his head with my phone. Was he kidding?
Then I thought to myself thats a huge contribution to this cars demise/ thinning of the herd. Some buyers just want a porsche and are too dumb to do some research and check priorities in maintanace, how to buy one, etc. To me its sad in a way. And its our duty to not let this happen, I hope someone responsible from here buys it and revives it. It would be a nice project for someone. Please, if your thinking of getting one cheap, rescue this car from this retard. I have the #.
wakiewes, please change your avatar, it looks like a revenge of the nerds christmas special, and she looks unhappy.

And rag on other cars:
Pole position you are funny, but porschefile is right, those motors suck for the type of performance they offer with such innovative technology . They really do, I'm sorry and thats the verdict. VW = crap.

...and other people:
If she really did laugh about that then we need to have trial and if convicted of retardism then we must drop a manhole on her.
My bad Lanny, but your son is the one who needs to go to therapy or pray to the Porsche gods for forgiveness until......I dunno but for a very long time. Sorry for your loss. Nice car and nice list. Congrats.

Doing pretty good there for 81 posts, don't you think? Not to mention that most of the others are just sucking up to some of the more prominent members.
Old 04-11-2007, 12:20 AM
dime1622
I never notice, anyway
Rennlist Member

Sorry for hijacking your thread, Don
Old 04-11-2007, 01:37 AM
Tour18
Banned

Hey Dime, why don't you post a pic of your car for us four banger fans. I have have a set of Gotti five spokes off the 944 I had to sell when I got a DWI back in 1985. (I haven't had so much as a parking ticket since.) I think that was the finest car I ever owned. Like putting on a pair of gloves...

One day I'm buy a 944 to rig out like yours sounds like, just so I can get those wheels off the wall. Yeah, that's the perfectly logical thing to do. Get those wheels off the wall... hehehe...
Old 04-11-2007, 02:05 AM
dime1622
I never notice, anyway
Rennlist Member

Sure.

Old 04-11-2007, 03:27 AM
nitehawk951
Rennlist Member

Wow dime I'm glad your a fan of mine. No one had a problem with half those posts though you moron, so I dont know what your trying to prove. By the way your paint isnt ugly, it was just that bad pic in the Arizona sun I guess, because now it looks nice especially with the fuchs.
By the way I noticed how you just chose my negative posts without showing what I was responding to. Some of those posts are real serious, if I said a guy had a stupid question its because he started like this "This may sound like a stupid question" and I was just kidding around by starting off that way. In the same reply there was a serious answer. Your just trying to start trouble for no reason. If I "rag" on other cars, I like how you said that, and they are not even on this forum, WTF do you care? It was not directed at anyone. But whatever, I could explain them all, but your acting like an idiot and it would be wasting my time, yours, and everyone on this list. So drop it, wipe your tears, forget about it and move on.

Quick Reply: Thinking about purchasing a 928/944