924 and 931 Forum 1976-1988

Sunroof metal corkscrew cable

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2006, 05:27 PM
mhl0125
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sunroof metal corkscrew cable

On my 1987 924S sunroof mechanism, there is a metal corkscrew type cable coming out of my sunroof motor. The other end is just laying in the trunk area. I am sure this is why my sunroof isn't opening and closing (motor runs). Where do I find a diagram on how to feed this through the proper place it should go. I assume it has to go up to the roof near the rear of the sunroof. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 10-31-2006, 12:43 PM
future
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Remove your side carpet and unbolt the 3 10mm bolts so that you can remove the motor and its housing as one unit. When you have done this you will see a tube that runs up and inside the pillar behind the rear hatch. Feed the corkscrew cable up here and also get somebody else to press the down button on the electric sunroof switch and this will feed it back up.

You may also need to replace the plastic gear wheels which conect the corkscrew cable to the lift arms. If the cable has come all the way out as your has then this will probably be due to a failed sensor which there are three off which tell the sunroof motor when to stop and the up point and when to stop on when closed and lastly when to stop to remove the sunroof and store in the trunk.

Hope this help.

Quick Reply: Sunroof metal corkscrew cable