924 and 931 Forum 1976-1988

fuel pump?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2006 | 11:20 PM
dfb
Track Day

Default fuel pump?

Hey folks,
I've just noticed a high pitched sound coming from the vicinity of the passenger side rear wheel, inside the car. Is it my fuel pump getting ready to die?
thanks for any help or suggestions. Dale
Old 09-04-2006 | 03:20 AM
jimsmartinirossi
Intermediate

Ya its very annoying. I replaced the fuel pump which dulled the sound a little bit.
Old 09-04-2006 | 09:50 AM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Sometimes they do make a lot of noise before they die. Then again, they do usually make a lot of noise anyway! Sorry - best thing to do is save up for a new one, just in case...
Old 11-24-2020 | 07:49 PM
cmoore
Intermediate

This is an old thread, but didn't want to appear not to have searched. So sitting at idle, I am hearing a noise intermittently. Its not a terrible noise, just a mild groaning that cuts in and out. And given its from the rear wheel passenger side, and there is nothing else there, I assumed fuel pump. I guess, perhaps it is an obvious question, but is the fuel pump designed to run constantly or does it just monitor the pressure in the line and turns on like a thermostat when the pressure drops to a certain level. And I guess I ask that mostly because I am not having any performance issues, yet. Granted I only have about 500 miles on car so far and am far from having worked out all the kinks, nor logged enough models from the new to me car. (that was in storage for 9 years).
Old 11-25-2020 | 07:45 AM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

No, it's on all the time; the excess fuel pressure/volume is continuously returned to the tank via the return line.

Intermittent noise is not so surprising. Might be worth removing the in-tank filter or pump and cleaning or at least verifying that it's not fouled up...
Old 11-25-2020 | 10:34 AM
mbean
Rennlist Member

Turbo or NA? Does your car have an intank pump as well as a second one? Draining and cleaning the tank is a good idea: we did it on our 81 turbo which sat for 8 years and there was some funky gas going on. Flushed all the lines, replaced the fuel filter, cleaned the injectors, replaced the fuel check valve and it fired right up. Techron was also recommended so we did that as well. I’ve been told the fuel injection system on these cars has very close tolerances so keeping clean fuel is important.
Hopefully the intank pump is good, as they are stupidly expensive.
If your timing belt isn’t new I’d replace it as these are interference engines.
924.org is a great resource for these cars, also 924board.org
931 Resuscitation - how to resurrect a long-dead turbo

Quick Reply: fuel pump?