Notices
924 and 931 Forum 1976-1988

924 won't stay running HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2006 | 09:57 PM
Scar
1st Gear

Default 924 won't stay running HELP!!

Ok, I got a 1981 Porsche 924 non turbo, my friend that I bought it off of got it running but did alot to get it to even do that...He took the fuel distributor apart and messed with the springs and put it back together, don't know if that could be the only problem though. When I start the car it'll run strong and you can pump the gas pedal and acts just fine for about a minute then it'll start going down hill from there, it'll start losing power if you step on the gas pedal it'll try to die but if you ease on it the rpms will go up then, then after that it'll just sputter then die, but the strange thing is you can kill the key and restart the car and it'll act the sameway again until it dies. like it resets something. Can anyone help that had this problem before with a car, I wouldn't know if it'll be a vaccum problem or what.

Thanks,

Scar
Old 08-07-2006 | 11:44 PM
968rz
Racer

Without more info its hard to say. Right off I'd suspect the fuel dist, not to insult your friend but those can be touchy units.
Are ther any other symptoms?
Check the exhaust flow, is it less when its acting up (at the t-pipe feel with you hand) a pluged cat convt can get worse when it gets hot.
The ign coil can break down when warm.
Fuel pressure/filter.

Just of the top of this old head
Old 08-08-2006 | 01:22 AM
Texas924
7th Gear

I had this same type of problem with my '79 924. It turned out to be a very small leak in the fuel accumulator that got worse as the car warmed up. (Noticed a damp spot around the bottom screw of the accumulator as the car warmed up.)

TG
Old 08-11-2006 | 12:37 AM
mrabrasive
1st Gear

sounds more like a bad fuel pump

Quick Reply: 924 won't stay running HELP!!