924 and 931 Forum 1976-1988

Breather hose burnt through...

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2006, 02:57 AM
TroppoShark
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Breather hose burnt through...

On my 924 turbo the breather hose from the top engine cover to the bottom of the engine has burnt through.

It runs pretty close past the turbo, and the heat eventually melts through it.

It's not an original fitting' and my second attempt replacing it (with high temp hose...).

What was the original breather hose made from?

Seems to me it should be braided metal or something to withstand the heat at that part of the engine...

Can anyone advise? Or does anyone know where the original hoses for this are stocked?

[At the moment, if I push the car around a left-hand bend, this problem results in a cloud of smoke from splash or contact with the exhaust manifold or turbo piping...]
Old 04-20-2006, 07:55 PM
cjeckert
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I'd try and get a hose made out of silicon if you burn trough that nothin will stand up to it.
Old 04-22-2006, 01:16 PM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

Replacements are expensive, no question about it.

What the later cars have is a metal pipe that wraps around the turbo from the front of the engine and goes right into the oil-air separator; the only hose is at the front of the engine, away from the turbo heat.

Unfortunately, both of my 931's are late; I don't remember the setup on the early cars, or on the Euro cars. You may wish to post the question on the 924 board (924board.org), as we have plenty of 931 owners including those with Euro cars (and even down-under!)...They should be able to better direct you...
Old 04-23-2006, 11:16 PM
PAH924
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Vaughan,
If you are referring to the hose that drains the oil from the turbo to the oil pan, with a "T" fitting for excess air/oil to be sent to the top of the head, then just replace it with silcon hose (believe its 5/8") and stainless-steel hose clamps. Has worked for me for a while with no problems. The actual "breather hose" is on the other side of the engine, and it attaches to the air/oil seperator.
-Peter

Quick Reply: Breather hose burnt through...