Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2006, 01:12 AM
924Noob
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 924 Sputter

I just purchased a 1980 924 turbo
Excellent condition in and out for 1000
It didnt have the power i expected out of a 80s turbo vehcle as my integra would drive laps around it. anyway i replaced the plugs thinking it just needs some love since its been sitting for a while (boy those plugs are tough to replace without taking off the upper pressure tube) After i installed the new plugs it wouldnt start. When i finally got it started it ran horrible. Sounded like running on 2 cyliders. So i go back under the hood and check to make sure i didnt knock anythign off wiring wise. I pulled off the plug wires one by one with it running to determine where the misfire/crap runnign was coming from. Sure enough the center 2 cyliders provided no change in performace when the plug wires were removed. I checked the wires for resistance no breaks in the wires i checked the wires for spark and they were sparking. Is there some "Limp mode" like they put in the newer vehicles? Like i need to reset something? I am scoring the haynes and nto coming up with much. Any idea would help.

Heres some picts of the car. http://spaces.msn.com/cursedworld/ i think 1000 was a steal.( unless i have to drop 5k into it to get this back on the road again) Never again will i perform routine maintinace im not a qualified Porsche mechanic :P
Old 04-11-2006, 09:06 AM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 66 Posts

$1k isn't a bad price for a running car... but yes, you could expect to spend $1-2k to get everything up to snuff. Not to get it running, though - only issue there could be ignition, right? You sure you got the wires back on correctly??? No limp-home mode on these cars...

You may also wish to stop in over at 924board.org - I've only got Series II turbos, not a Series I like yours (1980 only)... they're a bit different in a few ways, including the ignition...
Old 04-11-2006, 06:21 PM
924Noob
3rd Gear

MMkay im glad you mentioned somethign about th eplug wires being on the right order. (they werrnt) the 2 in the center were flopped. Whats sad is that i took them off one by one and put them back right after the plug was reinstalled. whats even sadder is that i drove the car home like that. Whats even sadder is it passed CA emissions like that. I swapped the plug around and its a brand new animal. Time to start serching through the forums to add a little more power to this littel beast.
Old 04-12-2006, 08:47 AM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 66 Posts

LOL! Well, wonderful! I always like the cheap, easy fixes...

Check out the 924board.org 931 forums, plenty of ideas there... boost controllers or 1bar wastegate springs, IC's, etc...
Old 04-12-2006, 03:17 PM
924Noob
3rd Gear

Thank you very much. Signed up for the other board and checkign them out now.

Quick Reply: 924 Sputter