Notices
924 and 931 Forum 1976-1988

can the 924 actually handle this?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2005 | 10:16 PM
h_2_o
AutoX

Default can the 924 actually handle this?

OK, so we are working on a project car, a 1987 924s. the engine in it is blown and we started looking around for something interesting to do to it. we ran across renegade hybrids http://www.renegadehybrids.com/main.htm and started to see what we could do. we have several small block chevy engines laying around so that kit would work out nicely. However this is pretty much were we run into trouble. the only real information we can find on renegade is from them and like any website, they i'm sure are sugarcoating thier stuff. anyway we were curious on some of the following things. I did a search on here and didn't come up with any results.

has anyone ever done, or know someone who has done one of these conversions? if so how well/badly did it go or end up?

can the tranny handle it or is it going to grenade?

if the tranny can handle it for how long?

can the rest of the drivetrain handle it?

any other info would be greatly appreciated.

thanks much everyone.
Old 09-08-2005 | 10:46 AM
TRWright
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Check out www.porschehybrids.com , there is a buch of guys over on that site that have actually done the conversion. My biggest concern to this type of conversion is the transaxle, since I have seen many people kill them with the stock engine. However, you can easily bolt in a 951 (944 turbo) transaxle which is A LOT tougher. (Plus--With a low redline v8, you will probably also prefer the gearing in the 951 transaxle.)

Quick Reply: can the 924 actually handle this?