924 and 931 Forum 1976-1988

924 Weber conversion

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2023, 09:05 PM
SpencerT
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 924 Weber conversion

Hey everyone! I’m doing a Weber conversion on my 924! I know that plenty of people have carried out the conversion successfully, but there’s not a lot of info on how to do it. I’m specifically wondering where people are pulling vacuum for the distributor advance. The webers don’t have vacuum advance ports unfortunately! Any help is appreciated… everywhere I ask this question I get flooded with people telling me not to do the Weber conversion (which isn’t very helpful). It’s my car, the webers are period correct, and they’re gonna work better than the decrepit CIS, so this is the route for me. I know that there are some efi kits in development, but they’re too experimental/incomplete for my liking at the moment. I’d love to hear from people who’ve done this conversion and have hands on experience. TIA!
Old 11-23-2023, 10:51 PM
944 timbo
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Maybe you could talk to the people at Borla, they might be able to help. https://www.borlainduction.com/2930-series.html
Old 11-24-2023, 01:01 PM
SpencerT
5th Gear

Originally Posted by 944 timbo
Maybe you could talk to the people at Borla, they might be able to help. https://www.borlainduction.com/2930-series.html
It looks like they only offer fuel injected itb kits… nothing specifically for the 2.0 cars either.
Old 11-26-2023, 07:58 AM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 66 Posts

Well, the EFI conversion is far from experimental... I've been running one on my 931 for a few years now, best thing I ever did to that car... but if you're bound and determined to stick with the old stuff, maybe consider Danst for a bike carb converison?
https://danstengineering.co.uk/index...rch&search=924
Old 12-03-2023, 12:01 AM
SpencerT
5th Gear

Originally Posted by 924RACR
Well, the EFI conversion is far from experimental... I've been running one on my 931 for a few years now, best thing I ever did to that car... but if you're bound and determined to stick with the old stuff, maybe consider Danst for a bike carb converison?
https://danstengineering.co.uk/index...rch&search=924
Just curious, what EFI kit did you go with? I've seen a few people run the DanST carbs. I considered it for a while, but I haven't heard too many people happy with the results. In one case I saw someone install the kit, and then ditch it to run Webers. I know the Webers have been used successfully, and many people have been happy with the results. I just want to hear from those who've done the conversion, and hear specifics on the installation process and modifications you have to make to the fuel and vacuum system.
Old 12-03-2023, 08:46 AM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

My Turbo is running a Microsquirt, and I'll be doing the same on the NA '79 racecar over the winter/spring.

There are a few details, mainly of course the intake plumbing, that are quite different Turbo vs. NA. The main other difference is then the fitment of the TPS. It's quite easy on the S2 931, since that car basically already has a TPS of a form on it. Swapping a true TPS in requires little more than an adapter plate and trimming the length of the throttle shaft. The early Turbo and the NA cars aren't as convenient; working through that mod this winter, a basic bent steel bracket ought to do the job seems like.

Danst seems to have the best option for crank sensor, mimics the NLA one I have on the Turbo. Main points there are a good bracket to bolt on by the oil pump, and then tweaking pulley spacing to accommodate the tone wheel on the crank.

Coolant temp sensor is easy, there's a BMW Facet sensor that replaces the thermo time switch, easy-peasy bolt-in. MAP sensor can be a basic cheap GM external sensor, with a hose. IAT I welded a bung on my intercooler pipes on the turbo, but it could've been put in place of the stock IAT, and for the NA I'll probably put it on the intake either where the EGR valve or cold start valve were.

Fuel rail - another tricky one until you find the right car in the junkyard; turns out 2.2-2.4L Hondas have the same bore spacing, I just scored one of those the other weekend. I prefer the steel version, and by bending the inlet pipe gently back to straight, slap on a 5/16" adapter you're back to normal AN fittings for plumbing in the fuel...

That pic doesn't have the port adapters in; still waiting for their delivery, and they're going in the head on the car, this is just for mock-up purposes... a set of Audi TT injectors... generic aftermarket fuel pressure regulator (or scavenge the stock Honda one, if you like)...

Then the coil pack and plug wires from a 2011 Golf/Jetta, pitch the distributor in the can, and away we go... well, of course, some wiring work to do of course...
Old 12-03-2023, 08:54 AM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

More pics...

Audi TT injector in modified VW head insert - just trim off the top flange.

Audi TT injector in 924 Turbo head

997 Turbo injector (long nose) in modified head insert for install

Ideola fuel rail on a 924 Turbo head - tight fit between the tstat housing and the distributor.

Initial Microsquirt install - still running stock distributor and coil

VW 2011 Jetta/Golf coil pack fitted in place of distributor - still needs removal of original coil.

Quick Reply: 924 Weber conversion