924 and 931 Forum 1976-1988

924S Starting Issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2019, 04:29 PM
924S Driver
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 924S Starting Issues

So long story short, my '87 924S will turn over but won't start.
However, there's a lot more to it. This car has had a lot or repair/restoration work done on it and I don't know where the source of the issue is.
It's been having trouble starting for about 2 weeks now but after a few times letting it crank, pulling the key out, and letting it crank again it would always start until now. I initially thought maybe I was just having spark plug issues because for a few minutes after starting the car ran very uneven as if it weren't firing on all pistons This time, however, I noticed an odd rumbling noise, got out to check it out and coolant that I had just refilled had been spraying out of the radiator cap while I was cranking it, I pulled the cap off and it sucked in air. Maybe I put the cap on wrong the first time because the next day I tried it again and no coolant spray but I still no starting, just turning over/ cranking.
I've heard I should check the DME or fuel pump relay for starting issues but I wasn't sure if that was possible with the issues I was having before it wouldn't start.
Unfortunately due to my current situation this car is my daily driver and I need it working ASAP.
Thank you for any help, it will be much appreciated!
Old 09-26-2019, 02:03 PM
Swenny
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

It sounds like you may have blown a head gasket. Has the car been running warm/hot? Have you checked the condition of the plugs after you have tried to start it? What color is the motor oil? If it looks like a milkshake buy a bus card and start your head gasket replacement. Check for a cracked block while your at it.
Old 09-26-2019, 08:20 PM
924S Driver
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As far as I've seen the car has been running normal temperature, it's interesting you mention a blown head gasket as that was repair I had done a few weeks ago, I certainly hope that hasn't already gone bad. I haven't checked the plugs yet, I don't have a garage to work in so it's difficult to really do anything. The oil is just dark, probably needs a change but not like a milkshake per say unless I'm misunderstanding what you mean by it looking like a milkshake. Thank you for your reply I will certainly look into all of that.

Quick Reply: 924S Starting Issues