Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tight crankshaft after reinstallation

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2017, 12:30 AM
951and944S
Race Car

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Bummer, I might have a good used one that meets spec if you want to go that route.

If you have to buy a whole set (which you will) to get a new one, PM me, I'm interested in the grooved uppers.

Thinking about using grooved uppers on both sides.

T
Old 07-17-2017, 02:35 AM
darek_u
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to hijack the thread - just a quick question about measuring bearing clearance with plastigauge. For main bearings - do I need to torque down ALL of the bolts and nuts on the girdle or nuts alone are enough? I'll be doing it next week, just doing a sanity check.
Old 07-17-2017, 11:30 AM
mikehayes
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I've learned anything from this experience, torque down everything. I'm almost positive you could get away with just the 10 19mm's but is the extra 10 minutes (tops) really worth worrying you measurement isn't accurate?
Old 07-17-2017, 01:18 PM
darek_u
Pro

Yeah, you are right, it's not worth it. Thanks!
Old 07-17-2017, 02:15 PM
mikehayes
Racer

Originally Posted by 951and944S
If you have to buy a whole set (which you will) to get a new one, PM me, I'm interested in the grooved uppers.

Thinking about using grooved uppers on both sides.
T
So, in case I haven't proved my complete and utter ineptitude yet, I'll swallow my pride in hopes that some poor idiot in the future benefits from reading this:

The main bearings with two seperate sides are grooved on top and solid on the bottom. Apparently it's easy to overlook the difference if your're a complete moron. I'll take a look tonight and see just how badly I messed up. Thanks T for making this apparent to me.

It'll be a miracle if this engine runs when I'm done with it.
Old 07-18-2017, 06:38 PM
kevin12973
Racer

Originally Posted by mikehayes
So, in case I haven't proved my complete and utter ineptitude yet, I'll swallow my pride in hopes that some poor idiot in the future benefits from reading this:

The main bearings with two seperate sides are grooved on top and solid on the bottom. Apparently it's easy to overlook the difference if your're a complete moron. I'll take a look tonight and see just how badly I messed up. Thanks T for making this apparent to me.

It'll be a miracle if this engine runs when I'm done with it.
do you still need that bearing? I have a new one . Lindsey was sending two per kit by mistake. Just pay shipping. 518-376-4782
Old 07-19-2017, 09:52 PM
kevin12973
Racer

Bearing is boxed up and shipping it out tomorrow. You can thank Lindsey Racing for the bearing. LOL
Old 07-19-2017, 09:56 PM
Tiger03447
Rennlist Member

Received 153 Likes on 134 Posts

Hope that the new one fixes the problem. Fingers crossed...hope it all spins freely..
Old 07-19-2017, 10:45 PM
951and944S
Race Car

Originally Posted by kevin12973
Bearing is boxed up and shipping it out tomorrow. You can thank Lindsey Racing for the bearing. LOL
That's very cool of you Kevin.

Mike, per PM, I did have a good one but it looks like Kevin is gonna take care of you on this.

I'll PM to confirm that you are covered.

T
Old 07-20-2017, 09:07 AM
mikehayes
Racer

Originally Posted by kevin12973
Thank you very much for your help Kevin!

Originally Posted by Tiger03447
Hope that the new one fixes the problem. Fingers crossed...hope it all spins freely..
I'm with you man, I'll be sure to give an update once I get it back together.

That's very cool of you Kevin.

Mike, per PM, I did have a good one but it looks like Kevin is gonna take care of you on this.

I'll PM to confirm that you are covered.

T
T thank you again for your offer, I'm going to go with Kevin since his is new. I appreciate everyone's willingness to help me remedy my mistakes!
Old 07-20-2017, 09:15 AM
951and944S
Race Car

Thank you very much for your help Kevin!

I'm with you man, I'll be sure to give an update once I get it back together.

T thank you again for your offer, I'm going to go with Kevin since his is new. I appreciate everyone's willingness to help me remedy my mistakes!
Not a problem. Had found a good one for you but not having to run to Fed-Ex takes at least one thing off my plate.

Make sure (or maybe Kevin already has) that the bearing is identical to the one that came with your set or match it against your old one.

The manual makes a note of a revision from early to late but I would have thought they would have discontinued the one that was replaced.
I think it may have been grooved all the way around inside diameter as opposed to the 220 degrees like the late one.

Take care, and good luck.

Feel free to PM with any questions along the way.

T
Old 07-20-2017, 09:25 AM
mikehayes
Racer

Believe me, I'll be going very slowly and checking everything very carefully this time. The biggest reason I messed up last time was because of the 574. I was worried about how fast it would cure so I was in a rush to get everything together. Is there an acceptable amount of time to have it on the flange before I torque everything down? The technical data sheet says put everything together "as soon as possible"

Regardless, it will be much easier now that I have a stand.
Old 07-20-2017, 09:34 AM
951and944S
Race Car

Believe me, I'll be going very slowly and checking everything very carefully this time. The biggest reason I messed up last time was because of the 574. I was worried about how fast it would cure so I was in a rush to get everything together. Is there an acceptable amount of time to have it on the flange before I torque everything down? The technical data sheet says put everything together "as soon as possible"

Regardless, it will be much easier now that I have a stand.
Yes, you have unlimited time so go slow and be methodical.

The 574 is anaerobic, meaning it only cures in the absence of oxygen that's why it never clogs the tip like RTV or silicone if there's extended time between use.

Go to your hardware or paint store, they have a 3 inch wide velour roller cartridge. You don't have to buy the special roller itself, just form a coat hanger or a tig filler rod into a 1 use handle for the roller cartridge.

This is the proper texture you want on the interface of the two crankcase halves. It's just enough sealant but not too much.

Keep us updated,

T
Old 07-20-2017, 11:15 AM
T&T Racing
Drifting

Received 347 Likes on 274 Posts

Yes, you have unlimited time so go slow and be methodical.

The 574 is anaerobic, meaning it only cures in the absence of oxygen that's why it never clogs the tip like RTV or silicone if there's extended time between use.

Go to your hardware or paint store, they have a 3 inch wide velour roller cartridge. You don't have to buy the special roller itself, just form a coat hanger or a tig filler rod into a 1 use handle for the roller cartridge.

This is the proper texture you want on the interface of the two crankcase halves. It's just enough sealant but not too much.

Keep us updated,

T
I find this topic very helpful because I am about to venture into assembling an '88 engine with no previous Porsche 944 engine building experience. All my engine building experience is Chevy SB vintage 1970's, those were the KISS principle.

I have decided to do the Michael Mount rod journal
bearing modification for the race engine.

I would appreciate any more ideas to simplify the assembly and avoid pitfalls. I know Van has a video posted on assembly.
Old 07-20-2017, 02:19 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Received 836 Likes on 525 Posts

Well there's yer problem.

Shows what I know lol.

Bearing bent when the peg went into it. Was probably squeezing the crank. Thank God the bearing is softer than the peg.

Guess I need a new #1 bearing. Anyone know if it's possible to just get one bearing? Also, I can't think of a good way to ensure this bearing seats correctly, but I'm sure it'll be easier not trying to do this upside down. I'm on my way to HF tomorrow for a stand lol.
I was about to post the answer. You found it. I did exactly the same thing a couple of weeks ago!

I too could not understand why the crank was so hard to turn - and I did check with plasti-gauge.

Took everything apart and started over.

Quick Reply: Tight crankshaft after reinstallation