Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sunroof Limit Switch failure?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2017, 12:37 AM
ried
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Sunroof Limit Switch failure?

Having trouble with the sunroof lifting arms. If the sunroof is up and I wish to close the sunroof, I press the console switch to lower the arms. However, they do not stop at the closed position. Rather, they retract fully and release the sunroof so that it may be removed.

Any idea what would cause the lifting arms to not stop at the closed position?

I've been reading through Clark's Garage and it seems one of the limit switches may be bad?
Old 07-04-2017, 08:26 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 63 Posts

It's much more likely that one of the limit switches has just shifted in position so it is no longer "clicking" at the right time.

When I got my current street 944, I had to spend a bunch of time readjusting/realigning them. (I also had to loosen the slip clutch and replace the gears...)
Old 07-06-2017, 03:27 AM
ried
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks. I also noticed that the sunroof motor will not work at all while the ignition is in the Accessory position. Rather, it only works in the On position (and the lifting arms don't stop at the locked position).

I wonder if these two issues are separate or related?
Old 07-06-2017, 11:38 AM
mj951
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 103 Posts

I don't recall the exact symptoms he was having but I recently helped someone who was having similar trouble with his sunroof. We used Clarks Garage instructions and a micrometer to track it down to one of the limiter switches located near the motor. Replaced one switch and the stripped plastic gears at the roof and all was good.

As Van suggests, if you can avoid having to makes adjustments to the 'system' and only replace a switch, you'll have won! Good luck.
Old 07-06-2017, 12:16 PM
Schmooey
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wish you luck with this. I had similar issues and read everything that I could find on it and adjusted and repaired every part that could have been an issue, and one day when I had the (older style) long sunroof motor out, I broke the plastic part that joined the motor to the rail... and I just gave up. I got a pair of the manual latches and called it a day.

But, I do wish that it did not come to this, as i did like to pop open the roof easily (like when it worked!) I guess i don't regret the change, as I just ran out of patience in the end, but if you can fix it, that would be great.

Quick Reply: Sunroof Limit Switch failure?