Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car ran for 5 days, died again!!! Help.

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2003, 06:00 PM
SoCal Driver
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Eric
Someone help the brother out.

OK.

Rich, go to www.harborfreight.com and buy a cheap tool kit to keep in the car.

Buy some manuals on how to repair what you have. Read them.

There.
Old 11-20-2003, 06:24 PM
peanut
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Sounds like you wore both the belt and the faces of the pulley smooth and the belt can't get a grip . You could try roughing up the edge of the belt with a rough sandpaper. Stick it in second and turn the rear wheel to get the engine to turn so you can get to all of the belt.
Ideally you need to do the same to the faces of the pulley as well.A quick fix can be had by putting some chalk or talcum powder on the belt and pulley
Old 11-20-2003, 06:39 PM
Bill
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Not bashing. Helping.

Try, try not.
Do. Or do not.

Yoda

Peckster, make you wonder.
SoCal, you are toooo funny.

97Xray, My great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great grandfather used stones for tools. I still have some of those lying around too.

Last edited by Bill; 11-20-2003 at 07:20 PM.
Old 11-20-2003, 08:17 PM
Mike B
Done With Sidepatch
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds like the alternator. I know it's a pain but you may have to remove it and have it tested. Did you remove the belt and try spinning the alternator by hand?
Old 11-20-2003, 08:31 PM
2+2
Pro

I cant remember if the belt is the conventional belt but if it is, squirt some belt dressing and see if the sound goes away. If it does, probably the belt, if not bearings of the alt. Sounds like you will have to replace at least the belt anyways. I had a Z with an alt bearing starting to go bad and it will squeak for about 5 minutes but it wasnt that loud like a squeal of a slipping belt.
Good luck.
Old 11-20-2003, 09:04 PM
ribs
Rennlist Member

SoCal...why you be hating on me? I have the manuals, I pretty much know what i'm doing, I've successfully pulled the motor completely apart save the main bearings and pistons and put it back together, working very well I might add, and I have quite an extensive tool set (just not with me) thank you very much. I already explained what I did and why (and who cares if I put a hole in an unexposed part of the belly pan anyways) I'm not going to respond any further to the ribs bashing just because I am that kind of guy. Thanks to all who stood up for me.

Euro, I'm doing just fine these days. I'll have a great digital christmas present for all in a couple of weeks.

Bill, you were lecturing, and after reading through your condescending post for the third time, I was actually able to find a nugget of help regarding the bearings in there. Thank you.

When I pull the belly pan to get to the alternator when I replace it (yeah, its the bearings, not the belt, so its coming off as soon as I get a new one some time next week) in the near future, I'm going to make a post and dedicate it to bill, showing the three modifications I have made to my belly pan to ease my work on this car. Bill, its all in good fun, and I'm JFWY.

GTG...peace and love.
Old 11-21-2003, 12:34 AM
SoCal Driver
Race Car

No hating here. Just that with all of your experience you should know better -- be prepared.

This particular statement causes me to question if you do know what you are doing; "the belt was very very hard to get over the pulleys, and I'm guessing it just expanded a bunch after running the car a while.."

There is a turn buckle, Porsche calls it an adjusting strut, that will draw the AC compressor in sufficiently to just slip the poly rib belt over the pulleys. Takes a couple of 17 mm and a 15 mm for the end bolts. I've never had any problems in the last 20 years of getting the poly rib belt off and on. Or tightening it when it become too loose and starts to squeal.

Loosen the end bolts on the strut before the 17 mm jam nuts or you will bent the ends.
Old 11-21-2003, 02:22 AM
ribs
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by SoCal Driver
No hating here. Just that with all of your experience you should know better -- be prepared.

This particular statement causes me to question if you do know what you are doing; "the belt was very very hard to get over the pulleys, and I'm guessing it just expanded a bunch after running the car a while.."

There is a turn buckle, Porsche calls it an adjusting strut, that will draw the AC compressor in sufficiently to just slip the poly rib belt over the pulleys. Takes a couple of 17 mm and a 15 mm for the end bolts. I've never had any problems in the last 20 years of getting the poly rib belt off and on. Or tightening it when it become too loose and starts to squeal.

Loosen the end bolts on the strut before the 17 mm jam nuts or you will bent the ends.
Yes, I know all about the tensioning rod. First I tried shortening the rod as short as I could get it (yes, I did move the jam nuts to the extremeties of the counter-threaded bolts the rod screws onto before trying to twist the rod), but even with the rod fully shortened, the belt wouldn't get over the a/c pulley. Amazed that this belt was so short (it must have contracted from the cold? It was definitely the correct belt for my car, but it was in the back of my car, in the cold for a few weeks) I disconnected the tensioning rod from the a/c compressor and swung the rod out of the way, moved the compressor as close as it would go to the block, and then with the help of a flat head screw driver, was able to get it over the a/c pulley. I've changed the belts 3 or 4 times on this car and have never had a hard time getting them on either. I tensioned the belt to 80 lbs (I think)using a kriket, and it was pretty tight, but when I touched it yesterday, it was quite a bit looser, so I'm guessing the belt was just shrunken and stretched out after being heated up a couple of times, but you wouldn't know much about the cold in so cal anyways.

-rich
Old 11-21-2003, 02:38 AM
ribs
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by Peckster
"the car died as I pulled up to my domicile. "

Your home and your domicile aren't the same?

Bearing noise can sound liike a belt.
No, my domicile is the house I stay at a few days a week which is close to my school...it is a disgusting dilapidated beach house (my stoner roommates thought it would be a good idea to haul 500 pounds of sand upstairs and turn the living room into the beach, even though the beach is about 100 feet away!?!), and I sleep on the couch, so I refer to it with a functional name. My home is my parents' house, which is cozy, clean, and I have all of my stuff; it happens to be about 130 miles from my domicile.
Old 11-21-2003, 02:32 PM
Bill
Addict
Rennlist Member

Ribs,

Its all good.

My wife gets nice. Posts to dudes.......thats different.

Your repair description just set me off. Kinda like someone dragging their fingernails on a chalkboard.

Make sure that belt is the correct one. Like SoCal said it should slip on with little effort. I take one of the tensioner bolts completly out and let the tensioner hang, to ease belt installation. Keep in mind, the alternator also has adjustment which can add or decrease tension to the belt. Like I said in a prior post, a belt that is too tight can side load the bearings causing them to wear. Belt tension on an aluminum engine is important, as aluminum expands at twice the rate of cast iron. The factory takes this into concideration with its tightening specification.

Don't get mad get even. Make that dedicated post to me! LOL!
Old 11-21-2003, 03:12 PM
SoCal Driver
Race Car

Originally posted by ribs
...you wouldn't know much about the cold in so cal anyways.

-rich
Ah, right! That was the reason I didn't settle in the Colorado Springs/Denver area in the early 70's. Not that I didn't love the seasons. Spring and summer is GREEN! Not the dirty brownish crap here. The money as a VW dealer mechanic was good there though.

Now inland from the coast, where I grew up, it does get to freezing. Not much fun when you have an 18 mile paper rout in needle sharp freezing rain.

As to the belt; I have the same concerns as Bill. Even frozen the proper belt should not have been difficult to put on the car. Do you have a mix of pulleys off of the early and later 944's? That is the early 944's have a five rib belt while the later, post 85.1's, have a six rib belt. Something to check -- closely.

Last edited by SoCal Driver; 11-21-2003 at 07:53 PM.
Old 11-21-2003, 03:43 PM
ribs
Rennlist Member

Bill,

I bought the belts I used for my repair at the Hershey Park Porsche swap meet a couple of years ago, and I bought two identical pairs of a/c/alt belts and power steering belts. The exact same belts that I put on about a year and a half ago, last time I had my car completely apart, slipped over the pulleys with no effort, but these belts took a lot of effort (the power steering belt was quite hard to get over the pulley, too, but not as hard as the a/c/alt belt), and I did have the tensioning rods disconnected and the a/c and p/s pump pushed as close as they would go towards the block. The belts were identical as the previous ones I had, just more weathered.

SoCal,

All the pulleys are correct AFAIK, but I'll double check when I'm replacing my alternator.

Thanks guys,
Old 11-21-2003, 03:43 PM
Jeff928S4
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Man Ribs, you are one cool, collected guy.

I'd love to be drunk with Ribs and watch how he handles situations. Nothing seems to get to him, and if it does - he handles it like a champ.

Ribs - I bet a lot of people give you the "whatever" after you talk to them. In this case the "whatever" meaning, I can't compete.

Jeff (944S Boyeee)
Old 11-21-2003, 04:16 PM
Mr. Bates - Masta2U
Instructor

Wise man say only nut put vice grip on his nuts then tighten.

WAY TO GO ACE!!!!

If ya wanna go inta da renavatin bidness i gots a sledgehamma and ducked tape waitin fo ya.

Lemme get this straight first you rip the belly open then the next day you diagnose. whats the saying measure once cut twice. yeah.
Old 11-21-2003, 05:43 PM
Bill
Addict
Rennlist Member

I did have the tensioning rods disconnected and the a/c and p/s pump pushed as close as they would go towards the block.
Ribs,

You are talking apples and oranges.

The belt for the power steering is a completely separate belt from the A/C compressor. Loosening up the P/S pump will have no affect on the A/C belt.

When I pull the belly pan to get to the alternator when I replace it (yeah, its the bearings, not the belt, so its coming off as soon as I get a new one some time next week)
From this statement, I assume its the AC compressor/Generator belt. As SoCal stated, the poly ribbed belt. This is why I mentioned that the generator also has an adjustment. Perhaps in a former life, this belt stretched. And the prior owner moved the generator out to its limit to compensate. And that is why you are having a difficult time installing a fresh belt.

Given your confusion, are you sure it is the generator? Remove the belt and spin the generator pulley. It should spin freely. If it grinds, you found the problem. Just replacing parts can get expensive.

Bates,

I could not have said it better myself. Haven't seen your razor witted responces for a while.

Boy, Ribs and Bates surfacing at the same time.....hmm, maybe they are the same guy and this is just a setup.

Quick Reply: Car ran for 5 days, died again!!! Help.