Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche 944 factory alarm key

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2017, 12:49 AM
951Dreams
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Porsche 944 factory alarm key

So, I've had a bit of a saga to try and get a key made for my factory alarm. I tried 4 or so local locksmith's who all told me they weren't interested in trying. The last one​ gave me a name and a number, saying "If this guy won't do it, your going to have to go to Little Rock or Tulsa, maybe even Kansas City or St Louis. No one else around here will try"

So I gave the guy a call, and he was willing to try. We meet up and he messed with it for about an hour. He finally thought he might have had a machine at home that might be able to cut the right key, so we removed it and he took it home. (How I found my factory alarm has been bypassed).

He's had it awhile, and found the following interesting information.

Sorry for the delayed response. I worked on the lock for about 4 hours yesterday, and figured out some vital information. The ignition key is not the correct keyblank for the lock. That is why the key was fitting tight in the lock.

There were two different locks that were used on those cars. One was made in Germany and one was made in Italy. I ordered the blanks for the Italian made one, but I was not able to find a source for the blank for the German lock. Apparently no one else can find them either. That is why people are subbing the SAAB blank. The particular SAAB blank that it takes, I am out of on the truck. I had a guy recently who had me cut 20 keys for a bunch of SAAB cars he had. I just moved and I will go through boxes today and see if I can find some blanks. I put some of those on the order too.

The second part of the equation is that the space and depth for the key is different than the ignition, and that was not a code on lock. Your ignition uses a 7 cut lock with three of the cuts being double cuts for a total of 10 cuts. There are also two different types of that lock, one uses 2,4,6 as double cuts, and the other uses 2,5,6 as double cuts. So I cut a lot of bad keys trying to figure out which one yours was. It turns out neither.

I found a very old article about how to originate a key for that lock in a locksmith magazine. It is indeed a straight 8 cut lock. However, they advocate cutting the back off of the lock housing to access the plug, decoding the lock, and then regluing the back on.

That is not the best method, IMO. I talked to some other locksmiths who have had success at impressioning the locks. Since I am pretty good at impressioning I feel confident that I can impression a key for it when I get a proper blank.

If you can live with it for another day, I can try to find those blanks today and try to get a working key before I give it back to you. Otherwise I can give it back, and make a key for you when the blanks come in this week.
So in short, if your trying to have one made, share this info with your locksmith. And once he gets mine made, I'll share his info, and if you can find no one local you can send it to my guy to have it done!
Old 06-05-2017, 01:17 AM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

AMAZING

So thankful all my locks work, and was fortunate to get keys with the cars from the original owners.
Sounds exhausting ~~~~

Best wishes
Old 06-05-2017, 07:12 AM
951Dreams
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mrgreenjeans
AMAZING

So thankful all my locks work, and was fortunate to get keys with the cars from the original owners.
Sounds exhausting ~~~~

Best wishes
MGJ, Your cars still have the original factory dust on them!! LOL The level of 944 you possess and the level I can find are two separate levels altogether!!! I love, LOVE your cars. Wish I could afford anything with the detailed history and care yours have had!!!

Each of my cars came with a single key for the car itself. Neither came with the alarm key. The 87 came with a locking lug key, with no locking lugs.

They only reason I'm messing with this at all, is just to HAVE one! The factory alarm has been bypassed, so I'm sure it's bad. I just want a KEY for it. Some day I'll get it working again. In the mean time I'm going to get a good aftermarket to help deter people messing with it. It's all part of the restore process. Everything has to work at least as good as the day it rolled off the line. This key I thought was going to be an easy one to knock out. It's turned out to be much more difficult than I thought.
Old 06-05-2017, 10:50 AM
951Dreams
Rennlist Member

Need to remove your alarm lock? Maybe it's damaged, or your going to work on it. Maybe your even going to give it to a locksmith to work on... And you don't like that big hole in the side of your car, and all this rain lately keeps you up at night, you can't get the image of all that rain getting inside your quarter panel out of your head.... No problem!

Problem solved. And none of that pesky differential fluid will get out either!!!

This makes a perfectly tight water proof seal!!!

Welcome.

Edit: Forgot to mention. Picked this up at AutoZone, but most any auto store should have it or something like it I'm sure.
Old 06-05-2017, 10:11 PM
PaulD_944S2
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

This should be the key blank:

http://www.mrlock.com/jma-za-2p-zadi-key-blank

They're pretty pricey at $2.23 each.

These are the part #'s:
ZADI, JMA ZA-2.P or JMA ZA-4.DP

Double check the key-way zig-zag against your lock. It's just below the side view of the key in the picture.

Quick Reply: Porsche 944 factory alarm key