Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please help me with a bad engine vibration/ balance shaft problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2003, 01:58 PM
ugo968cab
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the vibration is negligible with car standing, and gets worst when torque is transmitted to the wheels, that is mainly in 1-2 gear and accelerating, can be a torque tube problem.

Can you do the test ?

Bye

Ugo
Old 12-18-2003, 02:05 PM
billybones
Burning Brakes

If your shifter is shaking at the 3000 rpm this is the classic symptom of a clutch rubber center starting to go. But after I replaced mine I still get a mild vibration going thru that RPM with a spring center. but does smooth as I go past it, hardly noticable. but drove a year with a bad rubber center and still notice it. unballanced shafts I assume would always be there not just in gear. (don't know never had unballanced shafts). I think the rubbercenter check is in the FAQ? the final check for the rubbercenter failuire is to accell in first then suddenly let off the gas and you will here a clunk and the car will rock forward with it.. IT is not smooth... HTH. kenny.
Old 12-18-2003, 02:13 PM
SoCal Driver
Race Car

A test for having one of the balance shaft pulleys on 170 degrees out is to put your hand on the AFS while the car is at an idle. You will feel a high pitch vibration very close the the large personal vibrators you see at the department stores.

This is vastly different than the lower rumble bad engine mounts will transmit through the chassis.

Think Clarks Garage has a page on this. One of the old tricks is to check for the location of the key in the balance shaft with a piece of 1/32" diameter wire. Hint: The keyway will be on the top when the engine is in it's true TDC position.
Old 12-18-2003, 02:21 PM
kennycoulter
Drifting

the clutch is a newer spring center, the vibration MAY go away with higher rpm's, i dont like to drive it too hard. the motor mounts were put on with the clutch and timing belt. no shake when idling or just sitting there, im not sure if the shifter still shakes when the clutch is in and im above 3 grand, ill try it. i have to go get my washer fluid hoses, ill check on the way to/fro
Old 12-18-2003, 03:44 PM
kennycoulter
Drifting

well it does do it in neutral too. and it DOES go away! its around 2500 to 3800. and then seems to smooth out again. can my motor mounts being going bad already? or trans mounts?
Old 12-18-2003, 04:25 PM
jonnybgood
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by iloveporsches
I drove around for two weeks with a broken balanceshaft belt (didn't know!).
There is one other guy (has a black dog in his avatar) who told me he drove around for months with a broken balance shaft belt that he was not aware of. You guys should buy lottery tickets. I drove for 4 to 5 seconds with a broken balance shaft belt. It was a little bit rougher, also the sound of timing belt teeth rubbing against something stationary. During that time I now wish I had put in the clutch and turned off the ignition. Don't drive with a broken belt waiting to dislodge your timing belt!

I guess the racers all drive w/o balance shafts.

Quick Reply: Please help me with a bad engine vibration/ balance shaft problem