Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Milk shake..sorta?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2003, 01:37 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Milk shake..sorta?

I seek the infinite wisdom of rennlist!

I noticed when my 951 was cold after sitting all night that the coolant tank looked murky, pulled the cap and It had the milk shake look.
Oil cap had just a bit of it and dipstick seemed fine. This was when the weather turned cold.

After I drove the car it all looked fine again?

had gasket?
Oil cooler seals?
Some blowby causing contamination?

Car runs cool,Idles fine, blows some smoke at high rpm, Not white smoke,but it always has done that.
192K miles, last head gasket at 150 w/Top end redone.

Thoughts?

Thanks!
Old 11-16-2003, 02:25 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My oil cooler seals were replaced after finding a leak, and spotting oil in the coolant (early stages). Had I let it go, the mechanic said it would have been milkshake city.

So, I would guess that if your oil cooler seals aren't leaking oil onto the belly pan...it might be something else?

How was driving the 911 yesterday? Looks AWSOME on the road! I want one!!!
Old 11-16-2003, 04:11 PM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could just be condensation because of the cold weather...

Given that you cleaned it off, then went for a drive (a longish one I'm guessing?)...and it stayed clean...I would lean towards condensation.

FYI it could be headgasket or oil cooler seals (still a problem in the turbo, though not as bad as on the n/a's). But like I said, I am strongly leaning towards just condensation. So, you can put your check book away.

I would look into your coolant more, though. When's the last time it was changed? Probably couldn't hurt to drain it and check it for contamination. There's also a test you can do to check for exhaust remnants in the coolant, its a chemical thing...I dont know where you can get it though. I'm sure your local Porsche mechanic knows though.
Old 11-16-2003, 04:32 PM
Red 944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

same kind of crap in my buddy's mother's overfilled coolant tank, anyway long story short:
-siphon
-mouthful
Old 11-16-2003, 07:00 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally posted by adrial
Could just be condensation because of the cold weather...

Given that you cleaned it off, then went for a drive (a longish one I'm guessing?)...and it stayed clean...I would lean towards condensation.

FYI it could be headgasket or oil cooler seals (still a problem in the turbo, though not as bad as on the n/a's). But like I said, I am strongly leaning towards just condensation. So, you can put your check book away.

I would look into your coolant more, though. When's the last time it was changed? Probably couldn't hurt to drain it and check it for contamination. There's also a test you can do to check for exhaust remnants in the coolant, its a chemical thing...I dont know where you can get it though. I'm sure your local Porsche mechanic knows though.
Adrial,

Thats what I was thinking (Hoping!) I will keep a close eye on it, going to get the coolant flushed next week and put a new coolant talk in as well so I can watch it better.

Thanks!
Old 11-16-2003, 07:01 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally posted by AndyK
How was driving the 911 yesterday? Looks AWSOME on the road! I want one!!!
Awesome, I always have a ball driving that thing, next time we hang out take it for a spin! You may get hooked
Old 11-16-2003, 07:11 PM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

Marc,

Definetely keep us posted on what you find in the coolant resevoir. If you find oil there, then its time to get the oil cooler seals taken care of. But hopefully you were just seeing things.

The stupid coolant tanks in these cars...especially the turbo's! (more $$$ than the n/a tanks...)
Old 11-16-2003, 07:21 PM
GOBOGIE
Budding Photographer
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Condensation is a very good guess!
Old 11-16-2003, 07:22 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally posted by GOBOGIE
Condensation is a very good guess!
I LOVE condensation!
Old 11-16-2003, 08:29 PM
jeeper31
Race Car

Default Re: Milk shake..sorta?

Originally posted by Marc Gelefsky
I seek the infinite wisdom of rennlist!

I noticed when my 951 was cold after sitting all night that the coolant tank looked murky, pulled the cap and It had the milk shake look.
Oil cap had just a bit of it and dipstick seemed fine. This was when the weather turned cold.

After I drove the car it all looked fine again?

had gasket?
Oil cooler seals?
Some blowby causing contamination?

Car runs cool,Idles fine, blows some smoke at high rpm, Not white smoke,but it always has done that.
192K miles, last head gasket at 150 w/Top end redone.

Thoughts?

Thanks!
http://www.tech-session.com/kb/index.php?page=index_v2&id=82&c=4

Marc,
Found this link at Paragaon. Sayd the oil cooler deals may be bad. Check it out.

Got Milk?

Follow it. Hope it helps.
Old 11-16-2003, 08:31 PM
jeeper31
Race Car

MArc,
That should be oil cooler seals. And sayd should be said.

OOOOOOOOOOPS!!!!!!!
Old 11-16-2003, 10:38 PM
kennycoulter
Drifting

do the oiler cooler seals make the oil leak in the front of the engine too? i dont have any water in with my oil, but my car drips a good bit of oil, and every once in a while i get the froth on the coolant cap.
Old 11-16-2003, 10:40 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Marc, you have two different issues here, and I think you may well be in trouble.

Condensation in the oil can normally occur if you don't bring up the car to operating temps in cold weather. But milk look in coolant is a whole 'nother matter. You probably got oil in there, from where who knows. Oil cooler or head. And that is usually the way they go because oil runs at 5 bar when it is cool. Then the seals get worse and the coolant escapes into oil because it sits at a few bar pressure as the car cools down. Sorry, but I think you have some work to do. Probably the oil cooler seals.
Old 11-16-2003, 10:55 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally posted by IceShark
Marc, you have two different issues here, and I think you may well be in trouble.

Condensation in the oil can normally occur if you don't bring up the car to operating temps in cold weather. But milk look in coolant is a whole 'nother matter. You probably got oil in there, from where who knows. Oil cooler or head. And that is usually the way they go because oil runs at 5 bar when it is cool. Then the seals get worse and the coolant escapes into oil because it sits at a few bar pressure as the car cools down. Sorry, but I think you have some work to do. Probably the oil cooler seals.
My "gut" feeling is I have a problem brewing as well.
Checked the coolant cap earlier and all looks fine now, but who knows.
The car goes to the wrench Tuesday regardless.

Thanks!
Old 11-17-2003, 11:55 AM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My oil cooler seal job cost about $275, plus another $125 or so for oil change, coolant flush and fil. Not such a bad repair bill, as long as you catch it early. Let go too long, and damage can result, etc.

I'll definately take you up on that test drive next time!

Quick Reply: Milk shake..sorta?