Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cayenne S and Infiniti FX45

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2003, 04:07 PM
slevy951
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by esanmiguel
But seriously, what percent of Cayenne owners will take this to the dirt and mud??
Have you checked the Cayenne forum lately? There's 2 threads there with off-road pics. These guys may be in the minority of Cayenne owners, but it does look like fun!
Old 11-18-2003, 05:41 PM
Fishey
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

This argument is simple.

The porsche is a all round winner.

Why? Lets relate this to japanese vs German.

The japanese made the car to do certain things good. This can be seen in its underlieing design not baised off of a Truck but off of a car. That is why it will handle and give good onroad proformance. The Infinity has an Underlining weakness of design called Unibody construction taken from a car. Why? (stands on rant box) Lets talk about what this vehical is made to be. Its supposta be a SUV made for offroad capability and Utility. Were is this? A ****ING 3500lbs towing weight? WTF! my porsche 944 is rated to tow 3,000 give me a ****ing break. What Infiniti post about the car on the web page

" Part drafting table, part wind tunnel, all inspired. "Aesthetically, ...the FX blows the Cayenne's doors off,"* thanks to a design envisioned to be more aerodynamic, more stable and more striking. Explore the thumbnails to witness its ability to attract stares while hiding from the wind. "

Well Woo Hoo! a 0.35 Coefficient of Drag! Porsche did what? .36? What Porsche didn't do is leave a large front end to get stuck on rocks when taking the SUV off road (Porsche slanted the front to alow for a good entrance angle when really takeing it to the extreme offroad.)Not to mention that porsches body still has a smaller amount of lift.
(off rant box)

Lets talk about the Porsche.
The designed a body that uses high strength steel at the bottom of the car to give a ridgid frame against rocks that might make there way to hit the bottom. They also did it to make the bottom of the car weight more giving it a lower center of gravity. The top of the body is designed with aluminum (in class will continue this when I get home)
Old 11-18-2003, 05:52 PM
stupenal
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So i worked for infiniti for awhile. I've never driven the Cayenne but heres my impressions on the FX35/45.

The ride is nice and stiff - almost a bit too stiff. Infiniti is addressing this issue and is going to come out with adjustable dampeners i think next year. However, it corners real well and and the power is amazing. Pedal response is nice, steering wheel is nice and beefy also.

The styling is what makes the car really nice. The front lines are so beautiful but indeed, the rear cargo area is VERY VERY small. The color choices are very very exquisite to say the least. berrylium is a great color and the copper interior really screams styling. It has a sort of alligator/worn look to it, very very classy indeed. When you opt for the sport package with the bigger wheels, WOW. Plus the exhaust note sounds just like the g35 coupe - because its the same. VERY VERY nice deep rumble to it.

Since no one would really be taking the cars off road anyways, why do you need that feature? The FX is selling pretty well at the dealership I worked at and you get nissan reliability with the *** kissing of a pseudo luxury brand. One thing to note - interior is not that great. The quality of the dash and console is bleh. The radio is kinda hard to work too, but the steering wheel controls are nice. The steering rack also moves up and down - a nice touch.
Old 11-18-2003, 08:54 PM
rareblack944
Instructor

Which one will have a manual transmission? For everyday use, back and forth to school for me, that’s the only thing that would sway me from one to the other. To tell you the truth I probably wouldn't spend 50 grand on an SUV either, no matter how fast it was. Although they do have bigger back seats then the 944
Old 11-18-2003, 09:23 PM
Nabeel
Pro

Originally posted by Fishey
This argument is simple.

The japanese made the car to do certain things good. This can be seen in its underlieing design not baised off of a Truck but off of a car. That is why it will handle and give good onroad proformance. The Infinity has an Underlining weakness of design called Unibody construction taken from a car. Why? (stands on rant box) Lets talk about what this vehical is made to be. Its supposta be a SUV made for offroad capability and Utility. Were is this? A ****ING 3500lbs towing weight? WTF! my porsche 944 is rated to tow 3,000 give me a ****ing break. What Infiniti post about the car on the web page

" Part drafting table, part wind tunnel, all inspired. "Aesthetically, ...the FX blows the Cayenne's doors off,"* thanks to a design envisioned to be more aerodynamic, more stable and more striking. Explore the thumbnails to witness its ability to attract stares while hiding from the wind. "

Well Woo Hoo! a 0.35 Coefficient of Drag! Porsche did what? .36? What Porsche didn't do is leave a large front end to get stuck on rocks when taking the SUV off road (Porsche slanted the front to alow for a good entrance angle when really takeing it to the extreme offroad.)Not to mention that porsches body still has a smaller amount of lift.
(off rant box)

The designed a body that uses high strength steel at the bottom of the car to give a ridgid frame against rocks that might make there way to hit the bottom. They also did it to make the bottom of the car weight more giving it a lower center of gravity. The top of the body is designed with aluminum (in class will continue this when I get home)
You're forgetting that the Cayenne is also $15-20K more expensive than the FX45. For that price premium it had better be a more well-rounded vehicle!

Besides, if I were to buy a vehicle for going off-road, I'd get something more like a Range Rover or Land Cruiser. For everyday use, the FX offers more bang for the buck. Or better yet, I'd get an Audi S4 avant quattro and throw on some snow tires for the winter.

PS- don't forget that Infiniti dealers will treat you like royalty, unlike a lot of Porsche dealers. And dare I say, the Infiniti will likely be more reliable than the Pepper.
Old 11-18-2003, 09:33 PM
esanmiguel
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by Fishey
This argument is simple.

(off rant box)

Fishey,
I don't think the FX is marketed to be an SUV to tow and go off-roading. They are advertising this car as a crossover. As far as I know, I have not seen any ads where Infinti encourages you to take it to the hill and dirt. If you want to compare the Porsches frame to another Jap SUV then it would be more the Lexus or Nissan's Armada/Titan trucks. Car like the MDX, Lexus RX, Mitsubishi Outlander are all crossovers and not true SUVs as their chassis is car based and not the ladder frames of trucks.
Old 11-18-2003, 09:53 PM
ringo951
Burning Brakes

Say Bye Bye Infinity......

Quick Reply: Cayenne S and Infiniti FX45