Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power seat disassembly

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2017, 01:59 PM
Roka
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Power seat disassembly

So I got my new seat covers from lseat and I'm trying to disassemble the seat so i can put them on.

This is a power seat from an '87 and there is a hinge/pin that connects the back of the seat to the metal frame and I can't figure out how to separate the two. The pin is secured by an e-clip (see green circles on the pics).

Any idea how to disassemble this puppy?

In addition, there is an electric cable running from the bottom of the seat to the back (red oval). How to I disconnect that?

Old 04-20-2017, 08:38 PM
Booker42
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Roka - I tackled this job just last weekend and I know there is very little info out there to find online.

Firstly, that electric cable connects to the motor assembly much the same way the other cable of its size did on the bottom of the seat to the car. You should be able to access the connector by turning the seat over. Mine was zip-tied to other wires so was not that easy to see at first.

My hinge pin came out by the use of a) gravity (it literally fell out of one side) and b) needlenose pliers. Are you sure there is an e-clip because mine did not have any. I assumed these are supposed to be held in by the black cover that goes back on over the brackets.

Caveat - my seats had been reupholstered already so this my explain why the e-clip isn't there. Also, be sure to mark the top pin (about 1/8 in to 1/4 around - just above your green circle in pic one) to the bracket itself (just like you would a steering wheel). It is easy to miss by one click on the reinstall and you do not want the annoyance of a slightly misaligned seatback.

Good luck, hope this helps.
Old 04-24-2017, 04:53 PM
Roka
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Booker42
Caveat - my seats had been reupholstered already so this my explain why the e-clip isn't there. Also, be sure to mark the top pin (about 1/8 in to 1/4 around - just above your green circle in pic one) to the bracket itself (just like you would a steering wheel). It is easy to miss by one click on the reinstall and you do not want the annoyance of a slightly misaligned seatback.

Good luck, hope this helps.
Great tip on marking the pin.

My hinge pins definitely had the e-clip in the external side so the only way they were coming out of the frame was towards the seat back. There is also a "crown" on the interior side of the pin that prevents it from moving towards the external side of the frame.

I ended up just taking a pry bar between the frame the the seat back; with enough leverage the pin is extracted from the seat back and the two pieces can be separated. Now the question remains how easily this will come back together but that is for another day.

the hinge pin in the frame.

Hinge pin
Old 01-22-2021, 08:41 PM
Chazcamp
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

How do you like the seat covers?

Last edited by Chazcamp; 01-22-2021 at 08:44 PM.

Quick Reply: Power seat disassembly