Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT: Please help on my College App Essay - Fav. Super-Hero

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2003, 11:45 PM
p0wp0w
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OT: Please help on my College App Essay - Fav. Super-Hero

Hey all,
I posted this in the OT forum but would like to get as many replies ASAP.

My college application essay consists of super-heroes and listing their courageous deeds (long story). Ex: Tarzan leaping from tree to tree, Batman fighting evil villians, Neo and Trinity fighting industructable agents etc. But I need some more. So I ask of you all to help compile a list of all your favorite heroes and the things they do.

For those who want to know, I am applying to University of Texas @ Austin, Georgia Tech, Notre Dame and maybe a couple others. Thanks alot!

Oh and I JUST signed up for Rennlist Membership 2 minutes ago, I'm ecstatic!
Old 11-13-2003, 11:49 PM
Sam Lin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I hated those college essays, was told not to write what they wanted to hear but what I really thought, then did that and got screwed, found out classmates who did write what others wanted to hear were a lot more successful.

Sam
Old 11-13-2003, 11:50 PM
horsepowerfarm
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Derek Bell Super Hero. Can drive a Porsche farther and faster than anyone.
Sorry you may have asked the asked the wrong guys
Old 11-13-2003, 11:52 PM
p0wp0w
Pro

You have GOT to be kidding me.
AHHHH.

Oh and Sam, the GFB BOV is arriving on monday, the wait kills, hopefully I can find a way to put it on.
Old 11-13-2003, 11:56 PM
bloodraven
Race Car

Eric Draven (The Crow) fighting death itself to regain love
Spawn (not really a good guy though)
And Porsche Man....in the making......
Old 11-13-2003, 11:59 PM
iloveporsches
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What, exactly is your essay supposed to be about, and how do superheros fit in?

If you want I could send you the essay I wrote. I applied to both UIUC and UW-Madison for engineeringand got accepted to both. UW was ranked ike 14, and UIUC was ranked 3rd best engineering school in the country. I'm pretty confident my essay played a big role in getting accepted. I did really good on the ACT's, but my grades in HS were nowhere near the level of other kids in engineering at the colleges. I was maybe top 30%, where as 75% of UIUC Eng. students are at least top 8% of their HS class.
Old 11-14-2003, 12:00 AM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Any interesting tangent you can go on is analyzing a character like The Punisher, who is a perfect example of the anti-hero. He kills all the scum of the earth out of vengence for the murder of his family. And yea, hes my favorite superhero.

An awsome quote by him...

"People say when a man beings to talk to God hes either found his way or lost his mind. I havent found my way, and im not sure if ive lost my mind. I just want to know if what im doing is right, but no matter how many times i ask, i get no answer. Does that mean their is no answer, or just no God?"
Old 11-14-2003, 12:07 AM
p0wp0w
Pro

iloveporsches - the super-heros fit in at the beginning of my essay. The prompt is how have you triumphed over fear which is real courage. So basically I start off saying I would rather do this and that (what the super hero's do) than facing my greatest fear, confrontation. Then later it goes on describing the situation and how I overcame it (which was apologizing to a despised person becuase I did something wrong). I would really appreciate it if you sent me your essay, of course I wouldn't plagarize or copy (the prompts are probably different anyway) I just need ideas, BADLY.
If you don't mind you can either PM me it or e-mail it to mmmattc@alltel.net Thanks in advanced.

haha I knew I would get some Porsche driver response :P ohwell adds to my knowledge, and thanks so far to those who contributed, it helps a lot!
Old 11-14-2003, 12:11 AM
p0wp0w
Pro

Oh and iloveporsches,
how do you like it at UIUC, that and UW-M were one of my top choices as well. I want to do Mechanical Engineering or Business but I think UIUC and UW-M is a little too far from home. Notre Dame is just a huge reach school for me, so I highly doubt I will get in, but its my dream school so I have to try right?
Old 11-14-2003, 12:14 AM
ilikemy944
Going with the pack
is quite monotonous.
Rennlist Member

I applied to Mercer, and I was ecstatic when the app didn't include an essay...
Old 11-14-2003, 12:17 AM
Mel928944
Advanced

If I may offer, how about considering Frodo, from Lord of the Rings. Thing is, he's just a little guy shouldering a big responsibility. Not quite your typical "powerful, swashbuckling" hero, but the fate of their world rested on him. The point was, even little, ordinary people can make a difference.

I know this is a Porsche-themed site but I could not resist. If you can, see the two DVDs, turn on the subtitles, and understand the "Elves-talk". Just jazzed about this adventure movies, can't wait till Dec. 17. BTW, I'm an water resources engineer, meaning I have some nerdy proclivities. In truth, on my college application to UC Irvine I had a passage about La Morte D'Arthur - King Arthur, since I liked that fantasy stuff. Well not all nerds are nerds...some nerds like me love Porsches.
Old 11-14-2003, 12:19 AM
iloveporsches
Race Director

I really like it here, except Chem 101. It is rediculously hard.

The essay is on my computer at home. I'll be going home for a week the weekend before Thanksgiving, so I could send it to you then if it isn't too late.

If you think you can get into UW or UIUC for engineering or business, you should have a pretty good shot at Notre Dame. Like I said, both schools are ranked very high in engineering, and I know the UIUC business school is pretty tough too. Higher than most Ivy League schools. UIUC is behind MIT, which is probably the best technical school in the world, and I think Stanford.
Old 11-14-2003, 12:23 AM
p0wp0w
Pro

iloveporsches thanks, anytime would be good. Was it a nontraditional essay like telling a story or more traditional in format just describing yourself, 5 paragraph form etc.
Old 11-14-2003, 12:23 AM
924Superwagen
Burning Brakes

My pick would be... Lance Armstrong (IMO he's a real-life super-hero)

Last edited by 924Superwagen; 11-14-2003 at 01:56 PM.
Old 11-14-2003, 12:28 AM
iloveporsches
Race Director

Here's the actual prompt:
Your personal statement is an oppoRtunity to tell us more about you, beyond your grades and test scores. You decide what you want to tell the admissions committee, but here are a few examples:
interest or experience in your chosen major
state or national recognition for talent, ability, leadership, or achievement
an ethnic or cultural background or an age group that would add diversity to our campus
extenuating circumstances that have significantly affected an otherwise strong academic record.
Please note, your chosen college and major may require you to discuss specific issues in your Personal Statement, such as the relationship between your career choice and extracurricular and work experiences. Please read the college information carefully.
So it's pretty open ended. Mine combined an anecdote, plus my inspirations for wanting to become an ME.

Quick Reply: OT: Please help on my College App Essay - Fav. Super-Hero