Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1989-1991 Cabrio 'lookouts'?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2003, 01:07 PM
capndar
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1989-1991 Cabrio 'lookouts'?

I have read the FAQ's, and read a 944 book or two.....I have settled my search on 1989-1991 ...I have to have an open car....so, Cabrio.....my budget allows for cars about 100k miles....any specific 'lookouts' from cabrio owners?
Old 11-13-2003, 01:24 PM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 126 Posts

1989 Cabrios are almost unheard of. You will be looking at 1990/91's.

AS for issues, naturally you will want to change the cam chain tensioner pad (if not the whole assembly) right away. 100K is a good point for that. Fuel lines could also stand to be replaced, including the small ones. Other than that, the usual 944 stuff. Engine mounts, oil pressure sender, dash lights, heater valve, balljoints, etc.

I have not had any issues with my power top so I can't really comment there. I keep mine's frame clean and lubed so it should last a while. If you are testing one, remember that it's only supposed to work with the key in position 1 and the top unlocked, the pins out of the holes where the limit switches hide. New tops pop out a bit when you unlock them (they are tight) older ones like mine need to be pushed up by hand before the motor will kick in. This is normal.

The visors are cabrio only, mine are in OK shape but will need to be replaced or recovered someday. I don't know what that will cost.

The windshield is also a cabrio specific part so if it is cracked on the car you are looking at, take that into account. Might cost a lot to replace (can you say full glass coverage?)

1991's have a new ECU (some say they are faster as a result.) They also get a check engine light and can store/display codes. They also have the 968 style airbag computer, which means if you muck with the dash (like to repair the backlighting) and you goof up the airbag computer, you will need the 'Hammer' diagnostic tool to reset it. Disconnect the battery before doing anything of that sort and wait a short while for the airbag system to lose power and you should be OK.

Good luck!
-Joel.
Old 11-13-2003, 04:56 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Great pointers from Joel, so far. I might add that mileage and model year are even less absolute terms when shopping for a cabrio than for a coupe. When treated properly, these cars hold up extremely well, but if they've been abused, they can lose rigidity and contribute to the phallacy that "all cabrios are bad cases of scuttle shake."

This will become noticeable after you drive several examples. I've seen low mileage cabs that were very crummy rides compared to my 130K+ mile S2, and high mile cars in excellent shape that rode rock solid.

As with any car purchase, ask for maintenance records and get a PPI on serious prospects. Another caveat in addition to the convertible top itself, are the top seals which are somewhat pricey to replace.

Also, if the car has larger than 16" stock wheels, it's better if the front suspension caster blocks are updated to the 968 units for better control.

Happy car hunting. These cars are a lot of value for the money, considering they only built around 5,600 worldwide including the turbo version.
Old 11-14-2003, 05:27 AM
adrian_jaye
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

capndar,
replied on Pelican
latersz

Quick Reply: 1989-1991 Cabrio 'lookouts'?