Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The smallest stereo amplifier you know?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2003, 05:15 AM
Nico
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question The smallest stereo amplifier you know?

I'd like to find a very small stereo amplifier. My intention is to hide it to the passenger footwell, same place where the computers are located. Inside the center console is allso one altrernative place to hide it. So it needs to be small... really small...
You know of any? Know the measures too?
P.S. Only size matters.
Old 11-13-2003, 05:49 AM
Lonely Raven
Racer

If only size matters, then why get one at all. Wouldn't it make more
sense to put the money towards a better head unit with that power built
in?
Old 11-13-2003, 05:57 AM
diskzero
Advanced

That is a great point. Any amp small enough to tuck into the area where the computers are located will have the same power as the amp in the current head units. Most of them will output at least 40 watts per channel. The 928 had a small amp that the factory Blaupunkt used. It put out a whopping 15 watts per channel as far as I can remember. That amp would fit in the small space, but is essentially worthless. Does your current head unit not have an amp?
Old 11-13-2003, 06:08 AM
Nico
Instructor

Ok some power is required also. Some 50W RMS or slightly more, since the head unit is 23W RMS. I need this amplifier to drive the two subwoofers in the rear, which now are driven by the head units rear channels.
Old 11-13-2003, 06:16 AM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

It's not something that should be too hard to find. search this site:

http://www.audio-warehouse.com/

They're also cheap as hell. Supposedly all new stuff and they are supposedly reliable, even at that price. If i were you, if you want to buy from them, shoot them an email to make sure that stuff isn't rebuilt. (they claim it isn't)
~Eyal
Old 11-13-2003, 06:39 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

First off, I'm not a stereo guru, so I may be wrong here, but, the HU's w/50w/ch aren't nearly as strong as amplifiers w/50w/ch from what I understand- I'm not sure if amps are rated w/Peak & RMS like HU's, but, I DO know that even the strongest 60w/ch Alpines, etc, don't exceed 30w/ch RMS- RMS is what the REAL rating it for HU's BTW- I think the Alpine 60's are really 27/ch RMS....

Anyway, I have one of the smallest amps I've ever seen- came w/my car- it's an ADS 4ch- I THINK it's a PQ12 or something- I can look at for the #'s & get the measurements for you if you need- let me know- it's about the size of a DIN-sized HU, only a little longer. It is mounted on top of the wooden panel that houses the ECU underneath the glovebox, right where you're speaking- I need to get it off the actual floor, as right now it is just sitting there, but, it's not too heavy & wont be too hard to mount up in there a little- it's rigid steel, so passenger feet wont hurt it- the wiring points upward, so wires can't be messed w/accidentally. I don't know about the specs, but a much more knowledgeable stereo guy told me that it was supposed to be either 25 or 35w/ch IIRC- he told me, however, that ADS amps of that period were often way underrated & that it should be somewhere in the area of 50w/ch- again, it is 4/ch- whatever the case, I hooked up two of the channels to run my rear 6.5" speakers & it is MUCH stronger than the 47w Kenwood HU I recently bought- I'm almost ifnished installing some 6x8's up front that will be run off of the other two channels...

Quick Reply: The smallest stereo amplifier you know?