Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

repost of - speedo problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2003, 09:17 AM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default repost of - speedo problems

is there any other device or aftermarket way of getting a speed reading? it doesn't matter if it works in my instrument panel or not, i just want to be able to know how fast im going. I had checked carfax, and there were no odometer roll backs as far as it said, and the person i bought it from only had it since the beginning fo summer, so there hasnt been that much time for something big as in miles to have been racked up or such. he told me the plug bounced out or something while he was driving, and that he had it plugged in before after it had come out. so i'm wondering if somehow im not sseeing it, but as i hear its not difficult to see , right? is it on the left side as in driver side of the tranny? or more near the wheel? I just need some way of making it work.. I don't think theres any way i can get anything back from who i bought it from, or maybe is it worht it just to attempt at selling it off to another unsuspecting customer. :/... (that seems to be the most cost effective way)
i got a post from another list that said a gps could tell you your speed.. is this true? and would it pass as a speed readout in an inspection

thanks much
Old 11-11-2003, 11:24 AM
James86-951
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The plug is on the trans where the axel shaft meets the trans. (towards the front.) Usually the culprit is the plastic gear inside the speedo itself. I had mine replaced with a newer version at a local speedo shop. (Speedometer Exchange in Roswell,GA) They did alot work for me when I worked in the Auto Ind.
Old 11-11-2003, 12:21 PM
Lonely Raven
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Before the speedo gears were available I had to super glue mine back
together. It's a real PITA to replace or repair your speedo, but it's better
then getting a ticket for speeding, and possibly on top of that getting a
ticket for not having a working speed-O-meter.

Quick Reply: repost of - speedo problems