Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turn signal question - won't stay on

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2017, 11:14 AM
jspearin
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Turn signal question - won't stay on

I've read through a number of previous posts about turn signal issues but I haven't come across the issue I'm experiencing. When I move the turn signal stalk in either direction, the corresponding turn signal goes on initially but then once the stalk is "locked" in the indicating position, the turn signal goes out.

If I wiggle the stalk around I can get the turn signal to come back on. I've tried the relay and that isn't the issue. I know the whole turn signal, high beams, cruise control assembly can be pricey to replace so has anyone had this issue and solved it without buying a whole new assembly?

Thanks in advance for any help
Old 03-13-2017, 11:23 AM
marc abrams
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Try cleaning the switch with electrical contact cleaner.
Old 03-13-2017, 11:54 AM
snb13
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you had the steering wheel/turn signal stalks assembly apart? If so, I suspect they were reassembled incorrectly. It's easy to do.
Old 03-14-2017, 11:31 AM
mikehayes
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I second snb13. There are a lot of small springs and plastic rockers that are probably not in the correct place. The second you remove one from the car you might as well buy a new one because it will explode into a million pieces and you'll have no idea how to put them back together. You could try buying a used one and using it as a guide/for parts to repair yours? But maybe take my advice with a grain of salt, because that's what I did and now it works perfectly except it doesn't self-cancel when turning right.
Old 03-14-2017, 10:20 PM
pfarah7
Rennlist Member

Received 238 Likes on 155 Posts

Question: Do you have an early or late model (didn't see anything in your profile)? Here's a couple pics of my 84; the little white tab is pushed by the cancelling cam to snap the signal lever off (neutral position) when turning the steering wheel back from a turn. However, if you recently removed the wheel & turn signal assembly, the cam just may have jammed up the cancelling tab (or broke it) so that the lever can't lock into an active signal position. Ask me how I know... Again, this is only one possibility and Mike is correct; attempting to repair the assembly will only cause anxiety and grief. There's a small plastic stand-off that holds the cancelling lever assembly together which must be broken to open it. A new purchase may be your best course of action if all else fails. Good Luck!
Attached Images   
Old 03-17-2017, 12:15 PM
jspearin
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for all the info. It's a late model (86) and though I have had the steering wheel off in the last year I have not touched the stalk assembly.

I think I'm going to try to clean the electrical contacts first to see whether that does anything. If that doesn't work I may just look for a replacement unit. I've read used units are not a good route to go due to the fact that they too may fail due to age.
Old 03-20-2017, 03:30 PM
guidon112
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good luck, I just had mine apart this past weekend due to the PO assembling it wrong. Did some adjustments and cleaning, and now my headlights and horn both work.
It's amazing what a little cleaning can do for old electrical stuff.
Old 04-08-2021, 12:15 PM
brad-cam
Burning Brakes

OP - old thread, i have a similar issue. signal stalk locks fine in up and down position, but lights only work when in the intermediate state between center (neutral) and the lock detent. when the stalk locks the lights go out.

did you ever solve it or was replacing the whole unit the only solution?
Old 04-24-2021, 12:49 AM
brad-cam
Burning Brakes

I replaced the combo switch with a known good one and problem fixed.

Quick Reply: Turn signal question - won't stay on