Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Balance Shaft

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2003, 06:13 PM
Boobers
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Balance Shaft

I'm picking up a 85.5 944 that i just bought. The car has recently had water pump, timing/balance shaft belts etc. replaced.

I have not picked the car up yet but will do so this week and drive it home about 800 miles.

The problem is that the mechanic who did the work very likely errored when realigning the balance shaft belt and there is vibration at about 3000 rpm.

My question is, should I get it corrected before the long trip home, or is it ok to drive and fix it later. Will this cause any damage?

Also, the guy who sold me the car had told me that he fixed the oil sending unit by replacing it with a new one. The other idiot lights would come on and no pressure on the oil guage. Since he replced the sending unit, constant reading of about 3-5 bars, no idoit light problem. Does this sound right to you guys?

Best Regards.......
Old 11-10-2003, 06:52 PM
Highway T
Addict
Rennlist Member

Not sure about the vibration.

My pressure sender failed a while back. The gauge and idiot lights are independent circuits even though they are in the same unit. Unusual they would both fail at once unless the internal plunger that is moved by the oil pressure had stuck.

The manual says at 80C (first line on temperature gauge) the idle pressure should be 2.5 bar or more and at 4000rpm it should be 4.5 bar or more.

Does the pressure vary with engine speed? If not check he did replace the sender and not just put a resistor on the gauge circuit. Does the idiot light still come on when you first turn the ignition on?

Chris
Old 11-10-2003, 08:10 PM
Dave951M
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't drive it with the balance shafts mistimed. You run a good chance of breaking something. It would be better to open the cover up and totally remove the balance shaft belt rather than vibrate all the way home. Even with it removed, keep it down and reinstall the belt, properly timed, as soon as possible.
Old 11-10-2003, 08:36 PM
SoCal Driver
Race Car

Yeah! Remove the timing belt!

If you think the vibration at 3,000 is bad you will crap at what happens at 1,500 with out a balance shaft belt.

Since the water pump was replaced one of the balance shaft pulleys is on wrong.

Quick Reply: Balance Shaft