Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Back home again in Stuttgart - 85.5 944 resurrection

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2018, 06:41 PM
benchod
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cruise98
Good work!
Were none of the front oil seals leaking? Rare if not.
Are there any in particular that are a "while your in there" or is it just a good idea to do them all?
Old 05-25-2018, 02:30 PM
cruise98
Three Wheelin'

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

I usually do them all.
Old 05-25-2018, 03:06 PM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 131 Posts

Subscribed and reading. Great work and thanks for posting!
Old 05-25-2018, 05:27 PM
alordofchaos
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan Martinic
Great work and thanks for posting!
+1, I spend most of my time in OT babbling nonsense so I don't get to the tech forums often. Just re-read this thread from the beginning, fantastic work on bringing this car back from where the PO had it.
Old 05-28-2018, 07:26 PM
Miggytosh
Rennlist Member

Received 145 Likes on 69 Posts

Great thread, thanks for documenting and sharing!
Old 05-28-2018, 11:19 PM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

How did you clean up the paint? Mine is starting to look like your “pre” side & always interested what others are using / doing.

Also.. it looks like you put rear jack stands on the torsion bar tube ends, yes? I’ve always used the side jack point in front of the rear wheels, scared to use the torsion ends but wishing I do
Old 06-12-2018, 03:39 PM
tspangle
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cruise98
Good work!
Were none of the front oil seals leaking? Rare if not.
Well, I didn't think they were, but upon closer inspection, yes, the front crank seal was leaking. Which, of course, meant that the woodruff key needed to come out of the crank:

Easy, right? Well, after several days of PB Blaster, ATF/acetone mix, vice grips, end-cutting pliers, heat, screwdrivers, mini pry bars, basically you name it, I finally got the little bastard:

As you can see, it's pretty chewed-up. By this point I had already ordered a new one, so I ended up using my Dremel to very carefully cut a little slot in the end which I was able to jam a screwdriver into and lever it up.

Removing the oil pump drive gear revealed the usual groove:

So, a new one of those is on the way now, too. Part of the reason everything takes forever on this car is that every time I find a new part to buy, it takes the better part of a week to get it from Paragon/Pelican/etc.
Old 06-12-2018, 03:42 PM
tspangle
Advanced

Originally Posted by Dan Martinic
How did you clean up the paint? Mine is starting to look like your “pre” side & always interested what others are using / doing.

I used my Porter Cable 7424XP polisher with Meguiars Ultimate Compound and a Chemical Guys foam pad, I forget which one.

Also.. it looks like you put rear jack stands on the torsion bar tube ends, yes? I’ve always used the side jack point in front of the rear wheels, scared to use the torsion ends but wishing I do
Yes, I think? I can't even remember where I positioned them, it's been up on jackstands for so long. And honestly, the back end doesn't even need to be on stands, I only did that to get extra height in case I ended up having to drop the motor.
Old 06-13-2018, 01:28 AM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

Cool thanks
Old 07-21-2018, 09:36 PM
tspangle
Advanced

Slow progress continues on the timing and balance shaft belts. I made an interesting discovery when I was under there putting the flywheel lock on:

Seems the previous owner (or a previous owner, who knows how long ago this happened), not only left an O2 sensor socket on the sensor, it was only finger tight, which explains the exhaust leak I had. After removing it, the sensor and socket are so jammed together there's no way of getting them apart without destroying the sensor, so in the trash they went, and a new sensor is on it's way.

Anyhow, after a few fits and starts, the timing belt is on:

I don't have the Porsche tool or the Arnworx equivalent, but I've read just about all there is to read about tensioning the timing belt, watched a bunch of Youtube videos, and I did use the "kriket" tool:

So, the kricket is in range, the "twist test" shows that I can turn it 90 degrees without too much effort, and I can turn the water pump pulley with some effort. I think I'm good. Some folks swear you need to have this thing checked to the millionth of a percent of perfect, but just as many say that this is no big deal. I'm satisfied with where it is, though I guess I won't know for sure until I start it and listen. I've at least turned it over and I know there are no piston/valve collisions.
Old 07-21-2018, 10:04 PM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

I’ve changed a few timing belts over the years on a variety of cars and never paid too much attention to the tension other than by feel or auto tensioner. Cleary this is designed with some tolerance.

The balance belts on this thing are a different story though! A little off of optimun and you get all kinds of whine. FYI I believe that credit-card gap thing is wrong; my reading of that diagram is the belt is touching and in fact one-tooth width tensioned. That’s how I set mine and only a bit of noise at cold start—but only after sitting more than a few days. Goes away in about 10s.
Old 07-22-2018, 03:59 PM
Smoker324
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Excellent thread. I just picked up my own project. Rebuilding my calipers now -- how did things work out with the brakes?

Old 07-22-2018, 10:04 PM
tspangle
Advanced

Originally Posted by Smoker324
Excellent thread. I just picked up my own project. Rebuilding my calipers now -- how did things work out with the brakes?
Great. It took a few attempts to get them completely bled, but they are 100% fine now.
Old 07-24-2018, 12:06 AM
Smoker324
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sweet -- great to hear. I find your threads very helpful. Keep it up! Thanks.
Old 08-04-2018, 10:39 PM
GasPowered
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Great work!

​​​​Any updates?

Quick Reply: Back home again in Stuttgart - 85.5 944 resurrection