Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear-ended Yesterday

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2017, 03:34 PM
carlege
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great to hear!
Old 03-02-2017, 12:24 AM
Tiger03447
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 128 Posts

I am glad to hear that things are going nicely for you. Your option is well founded..did your estimate include the time on a frame machine to straighten out the wrinkles, or are they just going to porta-power the car with it chained down to the floor? If you part the car out, you could probably come up with enough $$ to pick up another Porsche car..another 944? Inquiring minds would like to know...Thanks.
Old 03-02-2017, 08:43 AM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Received 835 Likes on 524 Posts

Good news after a bad situation. If you were closer - I might be interested in the less-than-perfect car.

Good luck with the search and capture. I went through exactly the same thing about eight years ago.

My beloved Herbie got rear-ended by a girl that was turned around to give her crying baby a pacifier (at least that was her story).

Here's the result:

Here's what I chased and caught:

Stu
Old 03-02-2017, 09:11 AM
Tiger03447
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 128 Posts

Scott are you sure that it's not the other way around? Do you own it or does it own you? LOL!
Old 03-02-2017, 09:27 AM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tiger03447
Scott are you sure that it's not the other way around? Do you own it or does it own you? LOL!
Maybe. I will admit, that when I find something I like - I tend to stick with it.

I'm still trying to keep all the 944s I can from the hoarders.
Old 03-02-2017, 01:45 PM
2002M3Drew
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a feeling that your story was going to end this way. Lately the field adjusters seem to be paying out as much or more than the body shops. The worst case probably would have been your bodyshop working out a number with the insurance company (what they normally do). That's a great result, though, and maybe you can get an upgrade out of this deal! Happy hunting.
Old 03-03-2017, 03:58 PM
EJZero1
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tiger03447
..did your estimate include the time on a frame machine to straighten out the wrinkles, or are they just going to porta-power the car with it chained down to the floor? If you part the car out, you could probably come up with enough $$ to pick up another Porsche car..another 944? Inquiring minds would like to know...Thanks.
The estimate pretty much lists the items/areas that will be repaired/replaced without going into too much detail with regards to the methods employed.

Originally Posted by Scott at Team Harco
My beloved Herbie got rear-ended by a girl that was turned around to give her crying baby a pacifier (at least that was her story).

Here's the result:

Stu
Ouch. Obviously mine is not nearly as bad as yours was!

Both my wife and youngest daughter have already told me to look for a track car. (How the hell did I get this lucky?!) I've got another 944 (actually an 86 951) that's a very beautiful and beastly car, and I've frequently mentioned a desire to slowly convert the car that just got hit into a track car. "Now's your chance!" they say. So that may be a new direction... Maybe pull this one straight enough to get rid of the big creases and start the conversion, or sell it and take all the proceeds in search of one that's already built.

Decisions, decisions... Just thanking my lucky stars that, after all this, I'm actually in a position to consider these options.
Old 03-03-2017, 09:07 PM
jhowell371
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by EJZero1
How the hell did I get this lucky?!
Simple, when it came to spouses you chose wisely Grasshopper
Old 03-06-2017, 09:36 AM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by EJZero1
The estimate pretty much lists the items/areas that will be repaired/replaced without going into too much detail with regards to the methods employed.

Ouch. Obviously mine is not nearly as bad as yours was!

Both my wife and youngest daughter have already told me to look for a track car. (How the hell did I get this lucky?!) I've got another 944 (actually an 86 951) that's a very beautiful and beastly car, and I've frequently mentioned a desire to slowly convert the car that just got hit into a track car. "Now's your chance!" they say. So that may be a new direction... Maybe pull this one straight enough to get rid of the big creases and start the conversion, or sell it and take all the proceeds in search of one that's already built.

Decisions, decisions... Just thanking my lucky stars that, after all this, I'm actually in a position to consider these options.

You've already got the car. How cosmetically perfect does it need to be for the track? I wouldn't spend too much time or money making it look great again. Just make sure the suspension and the rest of the mechanicals are sorted. If the tub is treaked - then that will need attention.

Have fun.

I got lucky the second time around. My wife races with (against?) me.

Old 03-06-2017, 03:53 PM
EJZero1
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Scott at Team Harco
If the tub is treaked - then that will need attention.
I considered just having this one pulled straight, and using this car, but the damage extends into the rear floor of the car. By the time I spend the money to get it pulled straight (or as close as they can get it) I'll have little left to actually start the conversion. I'm thinking it's likely more cost effective for me to look for another car that's already had most of the necessary mods done. Granted, I won't "know" the car, and will have to take a leap of faith of sorts buying someone else's work, but I'm up for a new direction.

Got my eye on a car, and if all of the pieces fall into place, will hopefully be able to get it home this weekend.

Thanks for all the inputs!
Old 03-06-2017, 07:15 PM
Jon951
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bang for the buck, always buy a race car instead of building one! I've done both and the former is more cost effective. However I gotta tell you, building one is more fun and you really know that car! Have fun!!

Quick Reply: Rear-ended Yesterday