Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Causes of extremly slow loss of coolant..

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2003, 03:30 AM
Fishey
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Causes of extremly slow loss of coolant..

Very slow leak? or maybe I am burning it up in the engine?
Old 11-08-2003, 04:37 AM
oi-punx
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It could be a number of things really. Have you pulled apart your intake to check all the hoses? I would suggest a compression and/or leakdown test to see if it might be your headgasket. I experienced the same issue for over a year and couldn't figure it out as all hoses were good and I could see no visible leaks after shutdown.

Two weeks ago after a long ride I saw coolant dripping onto the swaybar and then onto the ground forming a puddle. I pulled the belly pan, intake, belt covers and got her up on jackstands. Long story short....it was the waterpump that was leaking.

$1,500 and the problem is solved. I had all belts and pump replaced, resealed entire front of engine, replaced thermostats, oil pressure sender etc.

The leaks are gone but my wallet is empty. I'm SO glad I have my Civic for a daily driver. That car takes a beating and just keeps on going.
Old 11-08-2003, 11:37 AM
billybones
Burning Brakes

I had very nearly the same thing for about 2 years.. The hoses would be hard and then suddenly they would not be.. about a cup every 6-8 weeks. worse in the summer then in the winter.. Ended up a bad cap. no real coolant loss to see. but when the heat maxed out and the fans went on full go. I would get a wiff of antifreeze smell.. also found that I was having fan relay problems.. HTH..
Old 11-08-2003, 11:41 AM
jabbadeznuts
Race Car

Go to Autozone and borrow a collant system pressurizer. It helped me find two ponhole leeks in some hoses.
Old 11-09-2003, 01:22 AM
Dal Heger
Addict
Rennlist Member

Worst case senario. Cracked head. I'm buying a new S2 head because of a mixing problem (coolant in oil). Analysis of the head showed that it was "fixed" at least 4 times, but they still found 2 cracks that was allowing coolant to seep into the oil (or out of the coolant passages into the head area).

Yup, I should have never bought that car.

Dal.

Quick Reply: Causes of extremly slow loss of coolant..