Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Storage

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2003, 10:45 PM
Baron009
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Storage

So I think I'm going to store the car as of probably next week. It will be stored till I guess April or whenever the roads are clear of snow and sand/salt.

What sort of things should I do before and during storage? I'm going to start the car up once a week or whenever its warm and let it run for 5 or 10 minutes. I probably will wash it before I store it, and I might put a cover on it too. Anything else?
Old 11-05-2003, 10:56 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Unless the storage unit is guaranteed to be bone dry, I would hesitate to put a cover on it. I just read some horror stories about covered cars having bubbles in the paint from sudden condensation during the spring thaw.

My car is presently in storage in Barcelona, but the climate there is nothing like Canada, so the temperature and moisture levels are much more constant. I simply unplug the battery and many months later, reconnect it and the 951 fires right up.

If you have easy access to the car, some people advocate starting it up periodically, but I read somewhere that this is not beneficial unless the car is driven and reaches normal operating temperature, since you may trap excessive unburned gasses in the engine and have problems later.

Many people leave the doors and hatch closed but not fully shut to preserve the seals. Another thing is to store it low on fuel, to prevent condensation in the tank. I like to give mine an oil change before putting it away, but with synthetic lubricants it doesn't matter, as they don't degrade over time like mineral oils do.

Don't forget to tell it how much you'll miss it.
Old 11-05-2003, 11:01 PM
Baron009
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't forget to tell it how much you'll miss it.
Hehe yeah. I've only had it for a few weeks so its hard to put it away so soon.
Old 11-05-2003, 11:20 PM
Dave
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by Luis de Prat
Another thing is to store it low on fuel, to prevent condensation in the tank.
This is backward, a tank should be stored full. Condensation comes from moisture in the air, more air space=more moisture, also air expands and contracts more than fuel so there is more air exchanged (per hot/cold cycle) in a tank with less fuel.
Drive to the gas station, add fuel stabilizer (sta-bil), fill tank (mixes better if done in this order), drive home (to get fuel with stabilizer through fuel system), fog engine until it stalls and do not start it until the storage period is over. That's how boats are winterized anyway, I've never had a boat with FI and I quit the marina job around the same time that FI for boats became available so I can't give details on fogging a P-car.

Quick Reply: Storage