Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another S2 Lock Fix. Handles work but button jammed preventing opening.

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2017 | 07:02 PM
andrewmccrae
Track Day

Default Another S2 Lock Fix. Handles work but button jammed preventing opening.

Thought I'd post this as there seems to be a multitude of lock problems on 944s and I don't recall seeing how to fix this one.

Problem: Door won't open from inside or outside. Lock Button won't come up so door remains locked. Both handles giving resistance suggesting that they are working ok. The button did move but it seemed that it was stuck in a position that was neither fully closed or fully open even though it had locked the door.

Previous issues (early 944s??) have been resolved by peeling/bending back the seam on the B pillar, I started this but very quickly realised by looking at the opposite door that even if I got access the tab that moves up on the latch mechanism wouldn't release as the door was still locked. In any case the B pillar seam appeared to be too stiff to bend and looking at the other door the receiver on this car appears to be designed to guard against gaining access this way. I would not recommend this method. I had spent a while with a tool trying to release the lock through the gap at the seam and in hindsight it was probably never going to work.

Removing the door card is impossible, Front screw inaccessible, Speaker top screw also inaccessible. I removed all other screws and handle (top remains attached to card) and brute force and ignorance allowed me to brutally pull out the rear edge of the card past the edge trims.

Looking in behind the card there is two small holes about 10mm diameter at the very back of the door. Looking at the operation of the button there is a plate that swivels when the button pulls up. By observing the good door I was able to get an idea of what moves and I inserted a screwdriver into one of these little holes and managed to release what was preventing this swivelling and holding the button closed. At this stage I was able to pull the inner handle to open the door. Cue Beer!

When the lock button operates you see a little pin moving towards the outside of the door in a square shaped slot/hole. Pushing down on this will also open the door.

Hopefully this may help someone in the future.

Quick Reply: Another S2 Lock Fix. Handles work but button jammed preventing opening.