Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do people always mess with you in the p-car?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2003 | 06:39 PM
Brian McCoy
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by Blue S2
If the car seriously, and dangerously pursues you, call the police with their tag and description and that you are scared they are chasing you for malicious reasons.
2 problems here... no front plates in GA so it's hard to positive ID a vehicle sometimes (especially if it's an SUV) AND, when traffic is at its best (worst) here in Atlanta, there is NO accelerating to anywhere. DC couldn't even begin to compare... not even when there's a jumper on the WW bridge And accidents at both ends of I-95 & 295 (I lived and commuted in DC for 3 years). The other issue is that most of these occurances last only a few seconds AND even if you try to get away, they will try their best to track you down and make you pay (I don't understand the mentality, but I've gotten out of the car 3 times to inflict harm upon the drivers/vehicles of these maniacs).

Someone with better luck than me seriously needs to buy my car.. I need a tank (or old POS truck with BIG welded bumpers front and rear).
Old 11-05-2003 | 06:57 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

I find if someone's pissed off at me there's usually a reason, even if slight.

Not that it happens.
Old 11-05-2003 | 07:28 PM
phantom309
Racer

I don't get too many people trying to race me but I get yelled at and flipped off a lot more in the Porsche - there's just something about it that pisses off Kansas/Missouri rednecks. I don't get that in my WRX at all - the Sling Blade types don't know what it is and the 2F2F types are afraid of it.
Old 11-05-2003 | 09:37 PM
GOBOGIE
Budding Photographer
Rennlist Member

I have the old fart in a sports car syndrome... I usually drive it slow. It's such a radar magnet anyway, I don't like to drive it fast as I'll get a ticket for sure.

As a result of my slow driving, I feel I set myself up for every Tom, Dick & Harry with 4 pistons and a gas pedal. It does make things interesting though!
Old 11-05-2003 | 10:29 PM
Graufuchs
Rennlist Member

SoCal Driver-love the avatar
Old 11-06-2003 | 12:10 AM
JDeitz951
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

My problem isn't the other guy, I'd say it's ME!!! Two incidents:

First: Heading home from work, some dope in a Malibu (supercharged?) is playing "you can't pass me", I'm trying to ignore him. I get in a bit of slow traffic and he gets on my favorite exit ramp before I do, so now I'm getting a little hot. I drop back, ready to sling shot around him as we pull out to the next road (dual highway), but he must have floored it long before I did and he jumped into the left lane before I could box him in. So I'm the one boxed in on the right. Pissed me off so much I passed the slow car ahead of me on the f-ing SHOULDER at around 80 as the Malibu passed him on the left. Needless to say, when we cleared to slow car, I was well ahead of the Malibu, but now I was questioning my sanity. As fate would have it, the Malibu followed me 5 miles to my neighborhood and pulled into his driveway 2 blocks from my house! Now I'm the crazy neighbor. My secret is out.

Second: Another dual highway, at a red light, just me on the left and another car on the right. As the light changes, I see another car (Acura? Some fast jap luxo-sedan) approaching from behind, but the guy next to me is slow, so I move out and get over on the right. But something about the aggressive way the Acura came up on my bumper activates my intruder-alert. So as he passed I realized he was flooring it to blow by me. I floor it, but I'm in 2nd at 2500 RPM, so it takes a bit to get on boost and he's now a car length ahead. I start to reel him in but what's up ahead (500 ft) but a big slow dump truck in my lane. I keep it floored a bit longer, but DAMN, I realized I'm not getting by this guy in time and I give up. But I stomp the brakes with a little anger and actually LOCKed 'EM UP (for only about .2 secs)! I wasn't in any danger, but locking them up at 90 makes a nice big puff of smoke! And then I had to dive in behind the Acura and I'll admit it was closer than I liked.

In both cases I almost got my self in trouble because 1) I was minding my own business and got offended that someone wanted to show up the 951 and 2) I let my emotions and testosterone get me into a dangerous box.

Being 45 and having loved ones counting on me, this is not a good pattern.

So now I ignore everybody and drive in my own happy little world. 2 weeks and counting. One day at a time.
Old 11-06-2003 | 09:09 AM
James86-951
Pro

jdeitz951,
I can say that I haven't always been a defensive driver, but in the instances of late, I was. That seems to be my issue. When I stretch the car's legs, it's just me. On the other hand, my wife raced a Z06 Corvette up I-575 from 80 to 135 about a month or so ago. She banned herself from ever driving the car again. (We'll see.) She took the car, but not by much.

I am very concerned about the Woodstock ***** (aka Police) who got into law enforcement because they hate people. (They seem to fire every decent officer or they move on.)

The incidents seem to be increasing, that's why I started this thread.
Old 11-06-2003 | 11:58 AM
Fishey
Nordschleife Master

Sometimes cammro's and Mustangs try to race me. I usually just "play alittle to get there intrest" and then take them to a back road that is extremly twisty (were talking speedlimit is hard to maintain) and just punch it there. They soon get the point that I don't give a damn about how fast there car is because mine is faster were it counts. Also sometimes they think they can stay with and the results can be bad.

Taken of a cammaro that tried to act like a 944 on some local twistie's

Got to love the modifed exaust and pillar gauge.

Quick Reply: Do people always mess with you in the p-car?