Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gotta spend $300 on something engine related.. what to get?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2003 | 03:03 PM
Perry 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Cinci and Cleveland are valleys, so they have a higher chance of smog. That's the main reason, other than a revenue stream.
Old 11-05-2003 | 03:30 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Matt H. you just need to register, or have your car tested (when you get it finished) in a different county. Thus far in Texas we have 5 non-containment (attainment?) counties, those being Bexar, Dallas, El Paso, Harris, and Tarrant. Try Denton, or even Travis if you ever come down here. We have the biggest tree huggers (along with all the other nuts) in the world and don't have emmissions testing. Only $12.50!

Most of the above is wrong. Air Check Texas, extends to http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/vi/act.htm all the counties there. The plan is to have Austin and San Antonio covered by 2006.

To have it tested outside of the county you reside in requires you to sign a affidavit stating certain items. Technically, a car residing in Austin but being driven in Dallas 50% of the time HAS to be emissions tested. Not only is it a big bitch to drive 3 hours for an inspection but you can seriously hurt your claims (insurance) if your cars are in one place and registered in another. Say, in the instance of a hail storm where more than one car is damaged.

The program will grow outwards to other counties as time passes. It is ALL about highway money and nothing else. Make no mistake, highway money is tied to meeting certain standards. While GW was the governor we told the federal government to **** off. Now that is not a choice.

I would love to know how UD thinks it is unconstitutional? I can see it now, the founding fathers...."We must think about the pollution these new (UFOS as far as they would have been concerned) are going to put out. Let's write an amendment saying to protect peoples right to pollute the air!!"
Old 11-05-2003 | 03:54 PM
83 TX 944
Racer

Ummm, Texas told the feds to **** up a rope on the testing, and winded up with .08 bac levels to get the money (big friggin deal). FYI, I grew up in Dallas, my folks still live there, we test in Travis, and register most of them here, but that's not where all are driven, mine is. Insurance, yea, find your loop holes. They are there. I know who wrote the current laws for the state, I'm his son. How about that dip-**** insurance commissioner Montemayor? My point is to find your loop holes, and quit getting screwed.
Old 11-05-2003 | 04:01 PM
Matt H
Race Director

You can always find the loopholes but if your dad wrote the legislation I REALLY dont think he would want you giving advise to find them on a public forum. It isnt about finding loopholes, it is about the USELESSNESS of the program to begin with. A complete waste of our hard earned money. I would rather see the fool with the tires falling off fail than the guy with a little too high NOx count. The whole thing is a giant waste. I did hear they are contemplating becoming a one plate state again. Could save 4 mil a year. EVERY state surrounding Texas is a one plate sate.
Old 11-05-2003 | 04:21 PM
83 TX 944
Racer

Point well taken, and I hope the one plate does happen. I care not to share what the loop holes are on a public board, never will. I was just alarming you of your resources. Power, petrol plants, and public transportation (IMHO) have led us to the testing, but you have to have them to make "our" world go round. NAFTA, well, yes sir, ticket the companies that run on bald tires. I see it every day traveling from the capitol to home on IH 35. Good for trade, but bad for the roads. Stay ahead of the curve!
Old 11-05-2003 | 04:42 PM
83 TX 944
Racer

Wow, 14 counties now.. thanks for the info Matt, much appreciated. I'm the one who is behind the curve, but not the eight ball, yet.
Old 11-05-2003 | 05:21 PM
jp944
Pro

Big throttle body could work. What if you found out that one of the vac nipples was cracked and not evacuating to the charcoal canister properly?

jp
Old 11-05-2003 | 06:31 PM
UDPride
Thinking outside da' bun...
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally posted by hoffman912
why does cincy and cleveland have e-check, and columbus does not?

ive never had to do an e-check, and i mean ever, with any car i, or my parents have ever had. (im not complaining at all about not having it, just curious.. more people in columbus than cincy, or cleveland)

btw.. youre right, taft's a ****.
Because jackweed Taft and his suits live in Franklin county and why would all the politicians want to be held to the same emissions standards as Cleveland, Cincinnati, and Dayton?

Its the height of hypocrisy when your state capital can pass an emissions standard that must be met in other parts of the state, yet the county in which the state capital resides and the county with the largest city in the state (metro area) resides and the county in which the politicians and the legislation they enacted resides is mysteriously exempt from such emissions standards.

I hate politicians.

Quick Reply: Gotta spend $300 on something engine related.. what to get?