Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

With Regrets...

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2003, 02:50 PM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I didn't regret it, I used the proceeds towards my first 968.
Old 11-04-2003, 02:57 PM
phantom309
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love mine - no regrets but for the money I spent to fix the AC last year, I could've gotten 300 horsepower out of my WRX.
Old 11-04-2003, 06:02 PM
iloveporsches
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At times I ahve. Namely, immediatly after it would break.
Old 11-04-2003, 07:38 PM
porschefig
Three Wheelin'

i love both my cars but i wish i had waited to buy till i can afford a nicer one or do all the work on the existing cars. im sure ill keep both that i have until i can afford a turbo or s2..either that or dump money into my existing 944 and trade the 924 for a more reliable winter vehicle
Old 11-04-2003, 07:39 PM
GOBOGIE
Budding Photographer
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I regret it when I go months in between having time to drive it. I really wasn't in a position to buy the car when I did, but just absolutely couldn't pass up the deal.

I'm in grad school right now and have thought many-a-times about selling her as I have no lean'd interested on her. The money could be used to by that SAILBOAT that I've been lusting after. Oh well, I'm sure the sailboat would be sitting just as much as the Porsche is.

I'm hoping to hang on to her through grad school and then buy the boat. That way I'll have a Porsche & a sailboat. Shhhhh... the wife doesn't know about it yet.
Old 11-04-2003, 08:25 PM
incessant
Racer

At times I have. Namely, immediatly after it would break

LAUGH!

Well said.
How can any not be satisfied with the steal of the century! It's truely a crime how cheap it is to buy a 944.. the problem is, a lot of people (much like myself) tend to live a little beyond their means. (Not that 7K is a lot for a car, but 12.5K for 12,000 miles of driving is tough). To keep up with the maintainence properly if you are not good with tools is expensive.

That said..it is a Porsche.. it's not supposed to be affordable. That's part of the whole allure and 'wow' value. It is affordable to buy though, compared to any new car and they are very reliable.

Bottom line is, to some people, their car is like a member of the family.. and how could you sell your dog?

Short on rent? sell plasma.. keep the '44.

And the quote I have learned to live by..
"I'd rather be a Porsche owner with my car in the shop, then not be a Porsche owner at all. "
Old 11-04-2003, 08:49 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

OK, I have a weird reponse to this one.

When I was shopping for a p-car awhile back, I wanted a 944 for many reasons. Now that I have had one and have been enjoying it for almost 3 year and have spent LOT'S of cash on it, I am starting to second-guess my buying thoughts. The fact that I hang out with a lot of 911 guys probably isn't helping me any here. I have noticed several good deals on 911SC's lately for the same price as I paid when I initally bought the 944, not including the tons of cash I have poured into it. Add all of that up and I could have had one awesome 911SC for that money. Would it drive as good and handle as well as the 944? I'm not sure.

So, I have had a little regret occasionally lately, but jumping in the car and driving it seems to cause that feeling to go away temporarily. Maybe I need to drive it more often.......this winter may not help since I won't be driving it. I need to spend more time underneath it and get all of my winter projects done. Thanks for listening to me ramble.........

Tifo
Old 11-04-2003, 10:43 PM
nine-44
Addict
Rennlist Member

I regret totaling my first 944 in a way. On the other hand, it was waay too nice for me to try any upgrades or paintwork. It needed some mild attention, but was too nice to screw up. I would have never thought about attempting anything near what I have already done with this car and I'm not even finished yet! I'm not regretful for putting 15K into a car that I got for 2K and was pretty rough, it's been a good learning experience and damn good fun. Will I ever get anywhere near what I have into it? HELL NO. I can sell it for something tho some folks liek extravagant vacations or what not. Just try to sell a vacation??????? You can't! I don't see anything in this project as a waste. I don't think I'd ever sell it, I'd like to retire it to my"archives" as my first 944 build. No matter what the condition, wrecked, burnt whatever, I still love the project and it's progress and would like to die with the title in my name. That's just me tho.
Old 11-04-2003, 11:20 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally posted by tifosiman
OK, I have a weird reponse to this one.

When I was shopping for a p-car awhile back, I wanted a 944 for many reasons. Now that I have had one and have been enjoying it for almost 3 year and have spent LOT'S of cash on it, I am starting to second-guess my buying thoughts. The fact that I hang out with a lot of 911 guys probably isn't helping me any here. I have noticed several good deals on 911SC's lately for the same price as I paid when I initally bought the 944, not including the tons of cash I have poured into it. Add all of that up and I could have had one awesome 911SC for that money. Would it drive as good and handle as well as the 944? I'm not sure.

So, I have had a little regret occasionally lately, but jumping in the car and driving it seems to cause that feeling to go away temporarily. Maybe I need to drive it more often.......this winter may not help since I won't be driving it. I need to spend more time underneath it and get all of my winter projects done. Thanks for listening to me ramble.........

Tifo
Tifo, I know how you feel, my first Porsche was a perfect 86 NA, I sold it to buy my 911, as much as I love the eleven I actually missed the 944.
So, I had to buy an 85.5NA! Than I got the Turbo bug.. it was ugly
Old 11-04-2003, 11:50 PM
Charlie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

I have owned three 944's, one 968, and three 911's. I just bought my 4th 944, I placed a bid on Ebay, the car did not meet reserve and the owner made an offer an I accepted. Car was not running and I am in the process of repairing it.

This is a list of my previous cars in order of years.

77 911
83 944
86 944
87 911
88 944
92 968
94 911

Of the 7 cars there is one that I really miss and wish I still had. If you look at the list I think it would be easy to pick which one.
Old 11-04-2003, 11:57 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If I'd known what it was going to cost me I would have run away, or saved a little longer and bought a boxster.

But I didn't know, so what's the point of regrets? They're a waste of time and energy.

And it's still a cool car, and you rarely see boxster ******* on the track.
Old 11-05-2003, 01:07 AM
Russian Rocket
Pro

When i work on my 944(it wasn't driven on street since march) and something isn't going in the right place, doesn't have enough clearance, is so rusted that i have to break my friggin wrist to wrench it out, is so stuck that i have to "unscrew" it with my leg and a sledgehammer, is not fitting because i ordered the wrong part, is too expansive and i have to cancel a vacation with my girlfriend, is so time consuming that i spend weeks lying under the car with various fluids dripping in my eyes, is so friggin overengineered in a german way that my russian brain is boiling, is so in my life that my friends say i'll get married in the front seat, and receive a newborn in the backseat i get kinda mad. Sometimes i wanna grab my dads Kalashnikov and shoot the damn thing "swiss cheese" style. But for the most part it's all LOVE BABY!!! Something about that piece of metal on 4 wheels with a badge on it, just something about it. Guess it's true that older cars have souls Although my Miata is a friggin sunlight of every bad day, i love that thing to death too No regrets here, fun fun fun!!
Vlad.
Old 11-05-2003, 01:18 AM
SamGrant951
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

i regret not making more money to pour in the 951 faster as to complete my project and be happy with it and be able to move on to the next one...
Old 11-05-2003, 01:25 AM
v944god
Addict
Rennlist Member

I regret buying 924S/944, and WISH I BOUGHT A DAMN 951!! AHHHH!

Now it's time to save, and buy one.
Old 11-05-2003, 03:09 AM
deni durrell
Three Wheelin'

I'm with Sam on that one.. I don't regret buying the car - even though I never bothered to check it out before buying it - much less a PPI - (I got it from a friend, but "friends" can still be *******!@#).. Like Sam, my only regret is not making more money! Why the hell not, life is too short for anything else, including pithy regret crap.

The only thing that we have to remeber is that for all of us here, no matter how well we take care of our cars or how long we own our cars - we are still only borrowing them- we can't drive them when we aren't on the planet anymore.

Quick Reply: With Regrets...