Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheel Wobble

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2016, 07:30 PM
car3guy
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel Wobble

I have a early 1985 944 and finally found the source of the vibration in the car. I took it to Discount Tire to have the balance of the wheels checked. The tech called me back to the work area and should me the reason. One rim is not true in what I will call a wobble (like a bicycle tire when it is not true).
My question has anyone had this issue and if so can it be fixed? I have been on the web and found you can repair a rim that has a dent in the bead, but I haven't found anything that would correct a "wobble".
Thanks for any comments.
Old 12-07-2016, 07:56 PM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

What wheel rims are you running on your 944.1 ?

Are they original ? Are they cast or forged ?

Many cast wheels have been known to crack or break when curbed hard or run hard into a pothole, whereas the forged wheels will bend. Pretty hard to bend an original forged FUCHS wheel but not impossible. I have seen some interesting results of off track excursions on a high speed track which resulted in bent wheels but still holding their air. Cast wheels will break and lose air quickly upon a harsh impact.

There are wheel restorers which advertise repair, but caution should be made on their effectiveness regarding safely making a bent wheel perfectly round again or free from a twist resulting in wobble.

I suggest finding a replacement or checking with a top wheel restorer such as Harvey Weidman of Weidman Wheels. He is a straight shooter with a wealth of knowledge and thousands of wheels restored over many decades of business.

All the best on your repair or replacement.
Old 12-07-2016, 09:09 PM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 113 Posts

I have bent a few wheels on the pothole farms we call "roads" around here. They can be repaired but often replacing them is more practical.
Old 12-08-2016, 04:19 AM
924srr27l
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm surprised it's not common for Wheel restoration companies to also provide a Buckle repair service as it is here in the Uk,

There are quite a few in this country that have the facilities to reshape aluminium wheels, all in a safe manner.

Typically it's always the rear inside back face that takes the knock and moves as the strength is at the front, some wheels are so soft a plastic hammer will easily reshape the small sections that have been altered.

Some inferior metal wheels will crack, the higher quality ones and especially forged will bend to quite severe shapes and not crack.

R
Old 12-08-2016, 12:02 PM
car3guy
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mrgreenjeans
What wheel rims are you running on your 944.1 ?

Are they original ? Are they cast or forged ?

Many cast wheels have been known to crack or break when curbed hard or run hard into a pothole, whereas the forged wheels will bend. Pretty hard to bend an original forged FUCHS wheel but not impossible. I have seen some interesting results of off track excursions on a high speed track which resulted in bent wheels but still holding their air. Cast wheels will break and lose air quickly upon a harsh impact.

There are wheel restorers which advertise repair, but caution should be made on their effectiveness regarding safely making a bent wheel perfectly round again or free from a twist resulting in wobble.

I suggest finding a replacement or checking with a top wheel restorer such as Harvey Weidman of Weidman Wheels. He is a straight shooter with a wealth of knowledge and thousands of wheels restored over many decades of business.

All the best on your repair or replacement.
The rims that came with the car are the optional "Forged". We have a shop here in Tucson called NuWheel which I am planning on taking the rim to. They said they would need to see it in person before they would tell me if they could fix it. They are the best you can find in this area. I wish I had taken the rims to them in the first place as I took them to another shop to have them redone and I'm 100% sure they are the ones that screwed it up. Thanks again.

Quick Reply: Wheel Wobble