Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turn Signal Reset Fix (with Pictures)

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2003, 11:38 AM
elf89
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turn Signal Reset Fix (with Pictures)

Ever since I bought my 944, I've had issues with the turn signals resetting. They would not return to off after I completed the turn. I read numerous times here on Rennlist that the fix was to increase the thickness of a "peg" on the back of the steering wheel. I couldn't picture how that would work until I did the repair myself, so here are some pictures for anyone else who needs this fix.

Warning: If you have an airbag, do not attempt this unless you really know what you're doing. Those things explode, you know!

The first step is to take the steering wheel off. On a non-airbag car like mine, you just pull real hard on the horn pad, and it comes loose. You then have to disconnect a ground wire from the pad, but then you have access to a 24mm nut that holds the steering wheel in place. After removing the nut and the washer, be sure the steering wheel is at dead center so you can realign it when you put it back on, and pull it straight off.

Here's a washed-out picture of the column with the steering wheel removed. You can see the pin that resets the turn signal just to the left of the column.

Here's the back of the steering wheel before I did anything to it. The peg is a curved piece of plastic, maybe a 8th of the diameter of the ring.

The idea is to wrap electrical or some other tape around this peg so it makes better contact with the pin. I was kind of wimpy with my first attempt (3 or 4 neatly trimmed layers of electrical tape.) This fixed the left turn, but not the right.

I went strong on my next attempt and wrapped tape around it 12-15 times. In this picture, I had left it untrimmed thinking the extra depth might help. It didn't, and in fact, the extra depth wouldn't let the steering wheel seat properly. So I used an exacto knife to trim it to the depth of the original peg.

The result: The turn signal resets all the time from the left and 95% of the time from the right. I love having it work again! I'd welcome any comments on this process, especially if someone knows the procedure to do this safely on an airbag car.
Old 10-31-2003, 11:47 AM
p0wp0w
Pro

thank you SO much, I'll do this tomorrow or very soon on my non-airbag car, I hope that this is the same for the 951.
Old 10-31-2003, 01:36 PM
DerSchlechtSpecht
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats odd. My 86' N/A does not have that peg on the steering wheel yet the turn signal canceling mechanism still works.

Christian
Old 10-31-2003, 01:53 PM
elf89
Pro

Matt,

I was going to say I'm sure it's the same for a 951, but Christian's response surprised me. If you have the same stalk controls (turn signal, wipers & cruise control), I bet it will be the same. With no airbag, it's easy to pop the steering wheel to see. Good luck. I wish I hadn't waited a year to try this!

Quick Reply: Turn Signal Reset Fix (with Pictures)