Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AARGHH!!! Not Again!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2003, 09:10 PM
Dave
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default AARGHH!!! Not Again!!

Well, 2 weeks ago it was the ballance shaft cover/PS bracket casting, now it's the oil pump cover. Is it posible to wear out belts by taking them off and putting them back on?

Ever since this motor went in there has been a slight hint of oil at the front/bottom, when the oil pressure was bad (immediately after motor install) there was a drip on the sender and the unit seemed to be falling apart so we replaced it. The motor was never "dry" after that but It didn't really drip (1 drop every now and then) so I figured it could wait. 3 weeks ago when the ballance shaft cover/PS bracket casting broke, I mentioned the oil to the mechanic, he said he'd noticed it too and that it seemed to be coming from the oil pump cover, he'd removed the bolts, added thread **** (I forget but I took it as meaning loc-tite etc) and retorqued it all.
4 days later I'm prepping for zone 1 and the oil is a half quart low, no biggie I haven't checked it in a while, the next day after 4 runs it's a half low again, uh-oh this isn't good. Next thing I know Z-man points out a small puddle of oil...
I kept it topped off and finished the weekend, Monday it went back to the shop. Turns out the oil pump cover is cracked!
I guess this post has little value other than enabeling me to vent but I'm pissed off that after 10 months, $10,000 and at least half a dozen major problems since then, this POS motor still isn't right. I don't know who to be more pissed at, the engine builder who doesn't even answer my calls or e-mail about sending back the first motor (that one didn't last 5 minutes, I've given up on any sort of reimbursement for the extra $3500 of labor for swapping it out), the wrench (who, I think, should have caught this a few teardowns ago) or myself for not just burning the damn car (yet, the mechanic DID point out a leak at the fuel rail).

RANT OVER!
Old 10-28-2003, 11:11 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 110 Likes on 80 Posts

this is not intended to rub it in dave, but is my camaro starting to look good?

I know your angst. the feeling is not a good one. jill just read your post and commented how it mirrored our life a few short months ago.

Warning - If you get rid of this porsche your wife will gently suggest you dont get another porsche for a few years. Trust me I know from what I speak. unless you plan on saving at the barberby growing the back of your hair longer just keep pouring the money in, and hope.
Old 10-29-2003, 12:53 AM
emilysgranny
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dave ; clean up the area good, a bad seal yes , to long a bolt into the block and you think the pump is sealed to the block tight ,yes, but a cracked cover ?Hummm . The bolts on the oil pump are diff lenghts if I remember correctly and if you pick up a bolt that is to long you bottom it before it tightens the pump to the block , seen that a couple of times.
Old 10-29-2003, 08:07 AM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Dave, sorry to hear this. Want us to come over and do a Halloween exorcism Friday night? I'll soap up the windows, throw some tp over it, maybe we can scare it into shape.
Old 10-29-2003, 01:23 PM
emilysgranny
Pro

Hey Tom , you gonna restore that me too car .
Old 10-29-2003, 02:15 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Tom- I was gonna tell Dave he reminded me of YOU a few months back. D'oh!

Dave- That just sucks, big-time! You figure after all the effort and money, you would have a car with very little to go wrong. That Anderson guy is a real jack-***, huh? Pisses me off just reading about it! Hope Granny's suggestion works--sounds good to me!
Old 10-29-2003, 02:32 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Granny,
which car?
Old 10-29-2003, 02:34 PM
Jon Moeller
Three Wheelin'

Just read the thread, the motor was built by Anderson? I've been hearing a lot of bad stuff about him, lately.
-J
Old 10-29-2003, 02:35 PM
89magic98
In the Sink
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally posted by AndyK
Tom- I was gonna tell Dave he reminded me of YOU a few months back. D'oh!

Dave- That just sucks, big-time! You figure after all the effort and money, you would have a car with very little to go wrong. That Anderson guy is a real jack-***, huh? Pisses me off just reading about it! Hope Granny's suggestion works--sounds good to me!
On another thread, it said that John Anderson got into a very serious car accident just a few weeks ago.
Old 10-29-2003, 03:31 PM
emilysgranny
Pro

Tom ; the z , Camaros are known as me too cars in the GM circle.
Old 10-29-2003, 03:36 PM
emilysgranny
Pro

Dave ; give me a ring when you want to do it, just not the 2nd as that is my Jack Benny 39 th Birthday.
Old 10-29-2003, 03:39 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

granny,
camaro's and mustangs are affectionately referred to as P#ni$ extensions by my cousin the GM engineer.

the camaro is too clean to restore. it is like new. a 93 with 32k miles owned by a nut that was too afraid to drive it in case it would get dirty. he replaced it with a Z06 which should make a nice 50th to myslef in 8 years.

i restored the firebird in the mid 80's. changed the rear quarters with NOS camaro rear quarters, had a machinist cut the chevrons out of the original quarters and tack them into the new quarters, etc. that was when the car was worth maybe 10k. now that the value is creeping around 20k i bought the parts to re do the interior. i know it will never be a classic/collectible car because it came from the factory with a 2bbl carb and automatic trans. sort of like the plight of all 944 owners.
Old 10-29-2003, 03:51 PM
emilysgranny
Pro

Damn , I just sold all my 89 turbo ta parts , have some z stuff from yrs ago.Crap is getting in my way now. Can't wait to get the 4 bay up in the spring. At my age I can't possibly sell it all and don't even want to try. Let the kids worry about it. 2 cow barns, a carrage house ,cellar ,rented private garages,and god knows how many are stored in the salvage yard.I just tell the flatbed to go to point a and take to point b anymore. Ask Dave ,we just went to the carriage house which is where I just keep the 944 seats.
Old 10-29-2003, 04:57 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

had i known i would have hit you up for a set of 69 seats. i bought a set of seats from a 69 camaro and re foamed & reupholstered them in the same "comfort weave" vinyl the car came with. i bought the 69 seats because they have headrests. i didnt realize the frames were so small & how much useless foam I paid to ship. but i did need the old seats as a guide.

so is it that the modifications the PO made to the suspension of the 93 arent sorted out, or is the 944 suspension just that much better at sticking to the road? i think a lot of it is the tires, if they stuck as good as they look.
Old 10-29-2003, 06:03 PM
emilysgranny
Pro

Diff geometries I suspect, also weight ratios 50/50 vs ?.

Quick Reply: AARGHH!!! Not Again!!