Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AARGHH!!! Not Again!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2003, 04:39 PM
emilysgranny
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah Andy ,sure has. Reverse psychology- engines- Camaros. Poor old Dave took a beating on this thread. I think we ought to take a poll , on why Dave should put a 951 eng in his N/A and can it be done . Sorry Dave , shouldn't be teasing you right now. I can here that flying wrench hitting the wall all the way up here. But look at the bright side, you did win your class at the race. Well done !
Old 10-30-2003, 04:40 PM
4G64 944
Instructor

I think at this point just JB weld the cover, drain the oil drench it with brake cleaner, and cover the spot, it will hold, all for $7.
Old 10-30-2003, 08:55 PM
DerSchlechtSpecht
Three Wheelin'

Thankfully the fire was minimal. It started near the back of the engine and ate up my DME harness. Luckily it started as I neared my house. Bellows of smoke came pouring under the dash and out the car. It was a true smoke screen. Anywho Im pretty sure it destroyed my rear main seal as I lost oil pressure and lost/burned 3 quarts in a matter of seconds. I allready have been prepping for the removal of the engine. So far i have to fuel rail, fuel lines, all DME componants, electrice, vacs, AFM, throttlebody, and intake off the engine. I will remove it from the top. I will be doing a complete rebuild of the engine.

Wish me luck
Christian
Old 10-30-2003, 08:59 PM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by DerSchlechtSpecht
I will be doing a complete rebuild of the engine.

Wish me luck
Christian
Cool me too!

I'd love to come help and learn.

I'll be starting on my around thanksgiving probably.
Old 10-30-2003, 09:51 PM
Dave
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Who said Maria is taking this well?!? I have to duck when I walk in the door on the day the Visa bill comes and it's been like that since last winter! This motor has been the biggest thorn in our marrage but we're in way to far to be able to cut our losses, just keep telling myself that after this next big repair bill it'll be a good running car for a long time. Then something else happens...
Originally posted by 4G64 944
I think at this point just JB weld the cover, drain the oil drench it with brake cleaner, and cover the spot, it will hold, all for $7.
You've never seen one of these motors, have you? If you could get to it to clean it and shove some marine-tex (much better than JBW) on it, it would be easy to replace, the problem is "getting to it."

Dave, And to think that just a few years ago I had an insurance check for $8500 in my hand and could have walked away clean......

Last edited by Dave; 10-30-2003 at 11:01 PM.
Old 10-30-2003, 10:51 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 105 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally posted by Dave
Who said Maria is taking this well?!? I have to duck when I walk in the door on the day the Visa bill comes and it's bee like that since last winter! This motor has been the biggest thorn in our marrage but we're in way to far to be able to cut our losses, just keep telling myself that after this next big repair bill it'll be a good running car for a long time. Then something else happens...
Replace Maria with Jill and you had my life this summer. No, make that the last three years. the two greatest days of porsche ownership were the day i picked it up and the day i cashed the insurance check.
Old 10-31-2003, 11:23 AM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by DerSchlechtSpecht
Thankfully the fire was minimal. It started near the back of the engine and ate up my DME harness. Luckily it started as I neared my house. Bellows of smoke came pouring under the dash and out the car. It was a true smoke screen. Anywho Im pretty sure it destroyed my rear main seal as I lost oil pressure and lost/burned 3 quarts in a matter of seconds. I allready have been prepping for the removal of the engine. So far i have to fuel rail, fuel lines, all DME componants, electrice, vacs, AFM, throttlebody, and intake off the engine. I will remove it from the top. I will be doing a complete rebuild of the engine.

Wish me luck
Christian
Christian:
Was the fire started because of a faulty fuel rail? I thought those fires usually started on top of the engine, and on the front passenger side (gas dripping from fuel rail onto the exhaust headers)

-Z.
Old 10-31-2003, 01:26 PM
DerSchlechtSpecht
Three Wheelin'

Z-Man, negative. The fire started towards the rear of the engine due to super heated oil on the exhaust manifold. Somehow flames erupted and ate up the wiring harness.

My turbo engine I was telling you about is near completion, so I will just pull this burnt engine now, finish the turbo engine and plop the turbo engine in sometime in the next few weeks.

Christian
Old 10-31-2003, 01:26 PM
DerSchlechtSpecht
Three Wheelin'

Z-Man, negative. The fire started towards the rear of the engine due to super heated oil on the exhaust manifold. Somehow flames erupted and ate up the wiring harness.

My turbo engine I was telling you about is near completion, so I will just pull this burnt engine now, finish the turbo engine and plop the turbo engine in sometime in the next few weeks.

Christian

Quick Reply: AARGHH!!! Not Again!!