Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wiper Speed question?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2003, 11:32 AM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Angry Wiper Speed question?

My S-2 manual says there are 3 speeds to the wipers. Fine. Problem is, when I activate the washer, or do the single-swipe feature to clear the windshield, the wipers move at the slowest speed--ie: TOO SLOW! I'm driving on the highway, and if I hit the washer, I have to contend with a wet windshield until the wipers get around to wiping the soap off?

Could there be a short or something, or is this how it works on the later 944's?? Makes no sense to me!
Old 10-28-2003, 11:41 AM
FSTPRSH
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wiper motor on my '83 is slow period. It's either slow, or not quite as slow. My intermittent is broke. Sometimes when there is a drizzle and when I'm trying to break the sound barrier, it goes up quick, and struggles to find the wind to get back down. I think all of our motors (headlight, window, wiper, motor itself) are old and are needing to be replaced soon.
Old 10-28-2003, 11:42 AM
SoCal Driver
Race Car

That has always been a pisser! I prefer to have the squirters and the wipers sperate.

Think it's time to rework the relay and related wiring. A project!
Old 10-28-2003, 11:42 AM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Maybe the windsheild washer relay needs to be replaced? I have a problem with my wipers also. When you move the lever into the lowest position so the intermitten wipers turn on, my wipers work as if i just pulled on the switch to clean the windsheild.
Old 10-28-2003, 11:44 AM
SoCal Driver
Race Car

Originally posted by FSTPRSH
My wiper motor on my '83 is slow period. It's either slow, or not quite as slow. My intermittent is broke. Sometimes when there is a drizzle and when I'm trying to break the sound barrier, it goes up quick, and struggles to find the wind to get back down. I think all of our motors (headlight, window, wiper, motor itself) are old and are needing to be replaced soon.
Get a three speed motor out of a later car. Just needs a few things done to it to make it work in your car. One is to transfer the plug connector -- just a bit of soldering. The other is to grind down a couple of the casting ribs between the gear reduction and the mounting for the motor.

The intermittent is in the relay.
Old 10-28-2003, 11:46 AM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Nothing seems wrong with my motors...when I use speed 3, the wipers move FAST! And my intermittant setting works great. Just seem the default speed is the super-slow speed.

Ahhhhhhhh!!!!
Old 10-28-2003, 11:49 AM
SoCal Driver
Race Car

Originally posted by AndyK
Nothing seems wrong with my motors...when I use speed 3, the wipers move FAST! And my intermittant setting works great. Just seem the default speed is the super-slow speed.

Ahhhhhhhh!!!!
Can't make the default the fast speed. You can make it so the squirters come on seperate from the wipers. Then you can chose your speed.
Old 10-28-2003, 11:53 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

AndyK, I thought it was the relay and tried replacing it on my S2 to no avail. I believe it's the actual switch that is failing. Unfortunately they're very expensive.
Old 10-28-2003, 11:58 AM
Bret 944
Pro

On a related wiper note, my wipers don't park, and only one speed works - super fast (on the '88). Feel lucky you have all the speeds Andy.

Bret
Old 10-28-2003, 12:04 PM
SoCal Driver
Race Car

Originally posted by Bret's 944 N/As
On a related wiper note, my wipers don't park, and only one speed works - super fast (on the '88). Feel lucky you have all the speeds Andy.

Bret
When are you going to fix it?
Old 10-28-2003, 12:08 PM
FSTPRSH
Pro

Originally posted by Bret's 944 N/As
On a related wiper note, my wipers don't park...
I have this problem also, SoCal, were the '83s supposed to have auto-park wipers?
Old 10-28-2003, 12:10 PM
Bret 944
Pro

I don't know the solution. I tried intermittent relay, but that didn't work. I just use high speed all the time now, but I would like them to work correctly. What's the answer SoCal (remember, on the '88, if it's different)?

Bret
Old 10-28-2003, 12:26 PM
SoCal Driver
Race Car

Well here goes:

The wiper motor unit has "switches" that are part of it's large drive gear. These are beryllium copper wipers on copper tracks that go part way around the gear.

When you turn on the wipers you bypass these switches/tracks.

When you turn off the wipers you redirect the power for the wiper to these partially circular tracks. When the track ends the wiper motor stops or parks. Actually it's the ground circuit.

The wiper arm/switch tells the relay to start the motor (bypass the wipers circular switch) AND it directs power to the different windings in the motor to give it the two or three speeds.

The wiper motor does not care where the wipers are when it parks. You have to take the arm off of the wiper motor and relocate it correctly.

If the wiper motor does not want to park the first thing to check is the relay followed closely by the wiper switch on the steering column.

If this does not fix it then you need to take the motor out, remove the large round plate on the gear reduction and examine and clean the circular contacts. Refreshing the grease in the reduction is a good idea too.
Old 10-28-2003, 12:32 PM
Bret 944
Pro

Thanks for enlightening me SoCal, that helped a lot. I'll try those things probably this weekend. Sorry for the hijack Andy.

Bret
Old 10-28-2003, 12:40 PM
SoCal Driver
Race Car

If Andy wants to disconnect the wiper from the squirter I'll check it out and get back.

Quick Reply: Wiper Speed question?