Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Klankklank... Damn.. Engine died..

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2003 | 08:38 PM
nickhance
Three Wheelin'

Drop an LT1 engine in there, it might cost a little more than the 944 engine, but you won't have to worry about parts too much and it'll be a hell of a lot quicker than it was before
Old 11-16-2003 | 04:44 AM
kjtar
Track Day

Speaking of engine failures, I have a related (sort of) question. I'm looking at a S2 with 124k miles. How many more miles can I expect the engine to last, providing that I take proper care of it with regular oil changes, and I drive it "enthusiastically" but not "stupidly." ? And yeah, I know that "things can happen at any time" but in usual circumstances, how long is the S2 engine good for before I have to have a top end job done, etc.? Also, what kind of repair/replacement costs would I be looking at if the worst does happen to my (possibly) S2?
Reason I ask, I had a '78 Ferrari 308gt4, and talk about expen$ive costs, the water pump was $800. USD. So, I don't want to get caught in the same game again. I know Porsche costs won't be THAT stratospheric, but the other alternative I'm looking at is a 1989 Mazda RX7 GTUs. Engine replacement on that would cost (as far as I've seen so far, at least) around $2500, I think. How would that compare to a Porsche 944S2 engine replacement?

Thanks, everyone. I really "want" the Porsche, but I've got to be kind of realistic about this, too.

Best regards,
Tom Reynolds
Hereford, AZ
Old 11-16-2003 | 07:16 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by kjtar
Speaking of engine failures, I have a related (sort of) question. I'm looking at a S2 with 124k miles. How many more miles can I expect the engine to last, providing that I take proper care of it with regular oil changes, and I drive it "enthusiastically" but not "stupidly." ?
Just as a data point, there used to be an S2 in this forum with over 300K miles on the original engine. I'd say the S2 you're looking at is good for another 125K with proper maintenance. However, its previous history is critical, so ask for records.
Old 11-16-2003 | 08:30 AM
peanut
Burning Brakes

Bad luck m8..
If you turned her off pretty quick chances are all she needs is main bearings and crank thrust bearings( probably part of one of the main brgs I don't know on this lump). Would be worth doing the big end brgs at same time. Obviously check small end too but should have been uneffected

You should be able to change all these brgs in situ by just dropping the sump without tearing off head which saves lots of time and expense.
Just pull the main bearing housings and push the cylinder up the bore to release the top bearing shells. Slide the top bearings round the cranck and they drop out put new in the same way.
I have done this on lots of motors to get a simple cheap fix but not certain if it is possible to change thrust bearings on this lump in this manner.
best of luck

Old 11-16-2003 | 02:35 PM
triscadek
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by sweanders

It's a good thing this didn't happen in the 928 though..
That's an understatement,,,$$$$$$$

Quick Reply: Klankklank... Damn.. Engine died..