Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

first ticket confusion!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2003, 03:41 PM
porschefig
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry first ticket confusion!!!!!!!!!!

got a ticket today during lunch, speedo said 27, ticket says 36 in a 25. BTW this is my first time ever getting pulled over, completely unexpected, nobody else on the road, goin no faster then ever.....the big deal is that on the ol' 924 speedometers that only go up 85 its a huge jump from 25 to 35, theres no way i was goin that fast. also ive mentioned before..this car has no cat and a glass pack muffler, the difference in RPM making the ten mph difference also makes like 60 decibels more noise.......where do i get my speedometer checked......i know i can drive 60 on the highway but i want a note from the mechanic or whoever saying its off by 9 mph....i dont know if its a ticket or a warning, officer never said a dollar value and there is none on the ticket...then again ive never been pulled over, do i received the dreaded fee #s at the court house?.....GAWD im scared wut my insarance is gonna do...im only 17...and get this!! my mom is my insurance agent...shell be pissed...anyways...got work to do....
Old 10-24-2003, 04:03 PM
kinda5150
Racer

dude, relax first of all. was it from a state trooper or local cop? if it is a real ticket then there will be a court date and time listed, this is typically on the back. i've got kinda some bad news, you are probably required to bring a parent since you are under age. you can just show up and play stupid when they call your name and ask where your parent is (worked for me). most places offer driving school or some other form of punishment for first time offenders. in those instances the ticket will not show up on your insurance....so you're good to go. you can probably call the courthouse and find out if this sort of thing is offered. driving school is usually held in the evening during the week, lasts about 2 hours. it's simple, you just show and watch movies and get a lecture. it could be harsher, i got public service hours once. had to do 16 hours for my second offense. no big deal either, they'll work with you on that. if you can't prevent it from going on your record, then i would probably go ahead and spill the beans to mom. tell her the speedo dilemma, which she won't believe. can't help you on the calibration part. relax bro, it won't be the last ticket you get i'm sure.
Old 10-24-2003, 04:17 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally posted by kinda5150
relax bro, it won't be the last ticket you get i'm sure.

Nor the worst, I am sure.

Tifo
Old 10-24-2003, 04:21 PM
porschefig
Three Wheelin'

yea, i never planned on not spilling the beans to the parents...yea, im sure it wont be the last ticket but 11 over for a first is kinda out there, and mom always always tells me to watch my speedo..im a teenager and i drive 2 porsches stereotypically: its almost assumed ill get in trouble..but until now i never have...and im just mad because i was driving same speed as every day it seemed like and speedo said 9 less then the cop...just local cop by the way..and he was pretty nice about it...
Old 10-24-2003, 04:22 PM
porschefig
Three Wheelin'

LOL no kidding not the first...have u ever noticed...well atleast where ive seen...walk down the line of street cars at a DE and EVERY SINGLE ONE has a radar detector
Old 10-24-2003, 04:23 PM
porschefig
Three Wheelin'

mainly im concerned on getting it deferred and getting my speedo figured out
Old 10-24-2003, 04:27 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally posted by porschefig
LOL no kidding not the first...have u ever noticed...well atleast where ive seen...walk down the line of street cars at a DE and EVERY SINGLE ONE has a radar detector

Wow, how many DE's have you been to already at your age?

Tifo
Old 10-24-2003, 04:31 PM
OriginalSterm
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At least in NY, the first one, if not too much over the limit, gets reduced to an 1110A (I think). Failure to obey a traffic device. Not a speeding ticket, reduced fine, fewer points, shouldn't effect insurance.
Old 10-24-2003, 04:52 PM
W88951
Burning Brakes

If you want to check your speedo, find the nearest interstate. Bring a stopwatch. When you pass a mile marker start the watch. Stop it at the next mile marker. Did I mention the road should be as flat as possible and you need to maintain a constant speed. Then do some simple math.

D=VT Distance = Velocity X Time OR Distance/Time = Velocity

Just remember to make sure you are dividing like data.

Or, use a GPS.

As far as the ticket goes. Find out if it is City or County. Then determine the appropriate prosecuter to talk to. Since it is your first offense and not a serious one they will probably dismiss or reduce it if you go to traffic school. If the guy had writtend the ticket for 10 under then in most if not all states will not go on your record or be reported to the insurance company. So, if I ever recieve a ticket for 10 under then just pay it and go on your way.
Old 10-24-2003, 05:11 PM
iloveporsches
Race Director

im sure it wont be the last ticket but 11 over for a first is kinda out there
I was doing 30 over when I got my first and only ticket. The cops new it was a speed trap, drops from 55 to 25 for two blocks, then back up to 45 or so, so they cut me a break and gave me a ticket for 24 over. Went to court, had a nice judge. She made me pay the minimal fine ($70), no traffic school probation for 3 months, and it's not on my record.

Also, the speedos on these cars aren't known to be the most accurate. If you bring it somewhere and have it checked out/ fixed/ replaced, they may even just drop the ticket sicne you are showing an effort to make things right.
Old 10-24-2003, 05:24 PM
4G64 944
Instructor

Insurance surely sees the 1110a in NY, I was surprised, it's 2 insurance points, which alone wasn't enough to bump me to the next teir, but they do know about it.
Old 10-24-2003, 07:54 PM
porschefig
Three Wheelin'

ive only been to 2 DEs....i cant drive in them tho...im hoping one gets scheduled memorial day weekend..only weekend between my bday and the day i fly off to basic training
Old 10-24-2003, 07:58 PM
Epic2112
Addict
Rennlist Member

Here's what my father did once:

He got a speeding ticket and went to court to fight it, though he was speeding. At the courthouse he asked the state trooper who issued the ticket what he could do to get the ticket changed to a non-movig violation (no points). State troopers are usually great guys, at least in my experiences, and this one was no difference. He told my dad if he could convince the judge that the speedo was bad he would get a ticket for some nominal fee for a bad speedo and no points. He called a buddy of his in the cart parts business, had a recipt for a new speedo faxed to the courthouse, and that was that.

If you have a mech that you are somewhat friends with, or your family has one that they've been going to for a while you could try to get a recipt that says your speedo was replaced, regardless of whether it was faulty or not, and try that.

My father always had absurd luck with tickets though, so no promises. He once got a ticket on the Jersey Turnpike for going 80 when he was actually going about 130 (it was late at night). The cops were just nice to him.

Good luck
Old 10-24-2003, 08:02 PM
daniel951
Race Car

Me and my friends all got tickets already and we are 17 and on the first offense it always gets differed on any offense almost over here. Personally i had already 3 tickets and i am only 17. I got a 80 in a 55mph and i got a 40 in a 30mph. Both were differed and the first one i didn't even have to go to court they send something in the mail to put you on probation for a 1year or 6 months. Plus you will have to take driving school but on those offenses you can do it over the internet. Hope this helps let me know you if you need help.
Old 10-24-2003, 08:04 PM
daniel951
Race Car

Also i forgot to mention. The 80mph in the 55 was a state trooper which are as#es and the other one was the local cops. They also gave me a exhaust ticket.

Quick Reply: first ticket confusion!!!!!!!!!!