Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Silly Autcross Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2003 | 12:37 PM
esanmiguel
Burning Brakes

Default Silly Autcross Question

Auto-x events are scarce here in So. CA, and most events are all hosted by either NASA or SCCA. Not to mention that if you dont sign up early, they get full real quick. My question is, what would it take to have a private autocross event? What I mean is to get a group of people to pitch in some money and rent an open lot somewhere, put up some cones, digital timers, and go at it! I know safety is an issue (though I havent seen any accidents yet on autocross), but isn't that something that can be waivered by each driver? I think this would be a very good business to get into since I am sure there are more people who want to autocross than there are events.

By the way, I am a believer that everybody should try autocross. I also believe that not just sports cars should be autocrossed. I even try to encourage my wife to take our Volvo and take it to an autocross, but we had not the chance yet. I believe that Autocrossing will teach you to be a better driver and will teach you the limits of your car in terms of braking, cornering, etc.. wether it be a Volvo wagon, or a 944..
Old 10-24-2003 | 12:43 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Have you checked with your local PCA chapter? I bet they do autocrosses in your area. Do a search on the PCA site and find out who you need to call at your local chapter to find out. You may be suprised...

Tifo
Old 10-24-2003 | 12:47 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

I find it hard to believe that Porsche auto-x's are scarce in California?
Does POC do autoX?
Old 10-24-2003 | 12:57 PM
1990_S2
Track Day

PCA San Diego region does about one AX a month. PCA Orange Coast region does 3 to 5 a year. POC has the short track series at SOW - they run it around 10 times a year.

If you count PCA, SCCA, and POC events around here you can drive almost every weekend - twice a month for sure all year long. The SCCA events fill up quick and you don't get much seat time so you can pass them up easy enough and still have plenty of seat time.

Kevin
Old 10-24-2003 | 01:16 PM
esanmiguel
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by tifosiman
Have you checked with your local PCA chapter? I bet they do autocrosses in your area. Do a search on the PCA site and find out who you need to call at your local chapter to find out. You may be suprised...

Tifo
Thanks. Being a new Porsche owner, I was not aware of the numerous "chapters" in California. I will check out their schedule.
Old 10-24-2003 | 02:46 PM
Darth Coupe
Burning Brakes

In order to get one off the ground there is a little bit involved. For instance just a few things off the top of my head, the renting of a lot can be quite expensive, say so many thousand of $ is not uncomon for a season. Then there is insurance, if you do not want someone who was foolish coming over after you for something that he would probably lose in court anyways you need to have insurance which is a lot. It also pays if that guy is unisured and breaks something like a light pole (has to be really stupid), fence, grass, etc. Then timers are not cheap, but they are a one time purchase so that is a good thing. Lots of cones are needed, which will add up to so many hundred dollars, again only a one time purchase. Then, where are all of the cones going to be kept, someones house or Flying Wintobego? Then there would need to be some kind of advertising in order to get the members there to cover the costs with a nice entry fee like $15 instead of the $25-30 the sport seems to be going to. Not to undermine the idea or anything, because I would love to get a choice group around here together and go at it with a lot of runs but the start up capital is not cheap. However, I think it can be done and would be a lot of fun, but also a lot of work to get it going and keep it going.

I would agree and look for those PCA events as they seem to have less participants that should equal more runs. I wish I could go back to the older days when less showed up at the SCCA events and when they were $15 to run there and get a lot of runs but I guess those days are gone forever.
Old 10-24-2003 | 03:21 PM
Chris Moon
Advanced

You just need to look a little more, try these sites. The summer season is over, so things have slowed down a little, but there are still options.

CM

http://www.solo2.com/
http://www.pcasdr.org/schedule/index.html
http://www.pca.org/zone8/Calendar/calendar2003.htm
http://www.sdr-scca.com/solo2/schedule/
http://www.pca.org/zone8/
http://www.porscheownersclub.org/events/calendar.shtml
Old 10-24-2003 | 07:10 PM
Tom
Pro

The first big problem is finding a suitable site: very open, without a lot of poles etc. Most modern parking lots seem to be designed with grass berms and things in them that make them useless. Then the owner has to be willing to let it be used for that purpose and you have to make sure no one has a car or motor home stored out in the middle. Then the lot has to be secured against idiots trying to drive across it while cars are on the course, pedestrians, kids etc. It takes a lot of people usually just to maintain security. You need to have a proper liability waiver and to make sure EVERYONE in the area signs it, then to have proper insurance. If you are thinking of this as a business be careful as a lot or laws and expectations change when its not just a group of friends out to have some fun. All in all its best to tryto organize under the umbrella of an organization (like PCA, SCCA) that can provide a lot of the details for you.

Quick Reply: Silly Autcross Question