Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT: Powerball

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2003 | 06:15 AM
mmmbeer
Racer

Default OT: Powerball

Do you have to register a name when buying Powerball (the lottery) tickets, or are the tickets themselves proof of participation?

Since I live in Norway I have no way of bying Powerball tickets myself.

Could one of you rennlisters be as kind and do me a favour in regards of buying and mailing me some tickets? Against compensation ofcourse.

Regards:
Eirik Kvello-Aune
www.diateam.no/porsche
Old 10-24-2003 | 06:30 AM
TheCooler
Instructor

Norway doesnt have legalized gambling? Anyways when I want to buy lotto tickets I just give them numbers and they give me a ticket. No name unless I win then I give them my name as fast as I can and collect my 100 mil.
Old 10-24-2003 | 08:38 AM
mmmbeer
Racer

No legalized gambling in Norway. We do have a government controlled lottery. The prizes are very low compared to Powerball and there is only about 50% payout due to taxes and other expenses. Lottery prizes themselves are however taxfree.

How much does it cost to buy a ticket for one set of number for one draw? How many future draws can you purchase tickets for?

Regards:
Eirik Kvello-Aune
www.diateam.no/porsche
Old 10-24-2003 | 11:09 AM
zehnd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Am I correct in that when you win the 100 million in the US they pay that to you over time?

In Canada they write you the cheque instantly. I haven't see it hit a 100 million thou.

Still wouldn't complain if I won the powerball lottery.
Old 10-24-2003 | 11:22 AM
PCinDC
Rennlist Lifetime Member
Lifetime Rennlist

You can have it either paid cash or annuity, which is paid over a set length of time.
Paid in cash up front, you are taxed more heavily, which is why some people prefer to be paid annuities.

mmmbeer - I think $1 usd per ticket, you can buy as many as you want, there's no limit.
Old 10-24-2003 | 11:47 AM
SidViscous
Big thirst, Sore Thumbs
Rennlist Member

Napoleon
Veteran: Marine Corp

$1 US.

You Europeans send me cash, I'll buy all sorts of tickets and keep track of who has what. If one of youse wins 200 million I'll let you know.
Old 10-24-2003 | 11:52 AM
mmmbeer
Racer

Originally posted by SidViscous
$1 US.

You Europeans send me cash, I'll buy all sorts of tickets and keep track of who has what. If one of youse wins 200 million I'll let you know.

Well, actually I would want you to do that. But you'd have to mail me the tickets.

What I ment was:
Can one buy tickets for future draws? So that I dont have to arrange a "buy" twice a week. Say 1 ticket for each draw for the next month or even a whole year?

Regards
Eirik Kvello-Aune
www.diateam.no/porsche
Old 10-24-2003 | 11:52 AM
zehnd
Addict
Rennlist Member

........... If one of youse wins 200 million I'll let you know.
Old 10-24-2003 | 12:16 PM
SidViscous
Big thirst, Sore Thumbs
Rennlist Member

Napoleon
Veteran: Marine Corp

You used to be able to buy season tickets.

Personally I think of the lottery as a tax on people that aren't good with numbers.
Old 10-24-2003 | 01:34 PM
mmmbeer
Racer

You used to be able to buy season tickets.

Personally I think of the lottery as a tax on people that aren't good with numbers.
Well, as long as its optional it can't really be called a tax. I should know what tax is, as I live in Norway.

Anyone know if there is a possibility of buying "season tickets" or something like it?

Regards
Eirik Kvello-Aune
www.diateam.no/porsche
Old 10-24-2003 | 01:48 PM
david fracolli
Three Wheelin'

Powerball is not available in every state so you would first have to find someone that lives in a participating state. In New York, where I live, they do not have powerball but have what is called Mega-millions. Basically the same thing as Powerball. For Powerball the option to buy tickets is regulated by each state. Typically though you can purchase anywhere from 5-10 weeks worth of tickets.
Old 10-24-2003 | 03:29 PM
TheCooler
Instructor

They have it in my state. Ive never really heard of this. A person from another country wanting to play our lotto... but anyway ive seen the jackpot go up to about 300 something million before. The person who won only got 160 million in a lump sum. Arent the drawings the next day after you buy them? I dont play the lotto really ever.
Old 10-24-2003 | 04:07 PM
UDPride
Thinking outside da' bun...
Lifetime Rennlist

Im a big proponent of gambling and lotteries. I dont play them (never have), but I love being able to pay for most community utilities and services through a voluntary tax like Powerball, scratch-offs, slot machines, and blackjack tables. I wish there was one on every street corner.Its a win-win situation. Only the people who want to pay taxes do -- and they have fun while doing it, while the people who dont get EMS, police, 911, and trash pickup for free.

You couldnt get me to buy a lottery ticket if my life depended on it because you cant win, but that said I do know someone who did win 1.275 million. She actually showed me the check signed by Ron Petro, Treasurer(?) State of Ohio for 1.275 million before she had a limo from the bank pick her up and take her in to deposit it.
Old 10-24-2003 | 04:14 PM
Ag951
Three Wheelin'

You can't buy tickets for any drawing beyond the next one. The drawings are on Wednesday and Saturday.
Since the US has a graduated income tax, lottery winners are taxed pretty heavily here too, but you can expect to take at least 60-70% home with a skilled accountant (or a shady one).
If you win the jackpot you can choose the annual payments (30 equal payments totalling the advertised amount), or the single cash payment (about 55% of the advertised amount). Only an idiot would take the annuity. If you invest the lump sum decently, it'll pay out more than the annuity, it'll keep paying after 30 years pass, and you'll still have the principle amount.

I spend a couple bucks on lottery tickets. It's a small enough amount that if I lost it, I wouldn't care too much, so wasting it on lottery tickets doesn't hurt.
And on the off chance I win (anybody know if they're expecting a cold winter in Hell?) I'll definitely notice it. Free Porsches for all Rennlist members!!
Old 10-24-2003 | 05:59 PM
david fracolli
Three Wheelin'

Actually that is not true. If you go to the powerball web sight at look at the frequently asked questions it states that buying tickets for future games is decided by each individual state. it may just be that your state does not allow it.

Quick Reply: OT: Powerball