Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

leakdown Gauge

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2003, 04:11 AM
trebor_quitman
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default leakdown Gauge

I posted this on the OT board also:

Any suggestions on a cheap/dependable gauge? Surfed around abit and I'm just wondering why they are so pricey. It's just a preasure regulator with spark plug fittings that you hook up to a compressor, right? Any home made methods that are safe and dependable? I just want something I can pump a moderate yet non destructive amount of air into the cylinder so I can play the "where is the air going" game. I've got a compression gauge, which tells you that you have a problem, but it would be nice to have more "What problem" to go by. My GF's rabbit is running 160,159,158,120. I'm guessing intake valve. I plan on doing the 968 soon, but If I find variances, it will drive me insane if I don't know what is causing them, so I'm holding off on a compresion test until I have something. TIA
Old 10-24-2003, 08:43 AM
Jim @ EuroWerks
Burning Brakes

When you buy cheap test equipment, thats what you have! If you expect to do this from time to time do yourself a favor and buy a snap-on or matco. they appear to be made by the same company. I've looked at making one and they don't seem to complicated to me. The one thing I would suggest is at least get the snap-on hose to spark plug. It has the best seal I've seen.
Old 10-24-2003, 10:39 AM
Jeremy Himsel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Roberto,

How've you been? I have the Tevia leakdown gauge and it works great. I agree with Jim about the quality of the gauges but I'm not impressed with the Snap-on or Matco gauges myself. They apparently outsourced it to someone eles and they doesn't smell of the usual Snap-on quality (Snap-On has two available). The cheaper snap-on and standard Matco is the same gauge that you can buy through Harbor Freight. The $300 Snap-on is a nice piece but really expensive. Anyway, the Tavia is very common in the racing circles. Here's a link where you can pick it up.

http://www.goodvibesracing.com/leakd...structions.htm

Another option for you if your interested is to come up to my place and use mine if you want. It takes about 10 minutes.
Old 10-24-2003, 11:32 AM
Jim @ EuroWerks
Burning Brakes

Is the tavia as good or better than the expensive snap on?My walet still hurts!
Old 10-24-2003, 11:43 AM
Jeremy Himsel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Jim,

The $300 snap-on has a nicer feel to it and better hoses then the Tavia. I've used both and the performance is identical. The Cheaper Snap-on (also matco and harbor freight) is just a POS. I've used the cheaper one and had the regulated pressure read lower then the cylinder pressure. I decided to save the $220 and I use my snap-on compression gauge hoses with the Tavia tester. Don't feel bad about the $300 Snap-on, it's a nice piece of equipment.
Old 10-24-2003, 07:16 PM
trebor_quitman
Burning Brakes

Hey Jeremy,

It'd be great if you could help me out. I STILL haven't found what my A/C or ABS issue was, I've just been running without the relay. I haven't had a chance to do anything on my car until recently, I've been working on Karins little POS Rabbit. She made an impulse buy which resulted in me troubleshooting a drivtrain hammering. The Previous owner let the Diff go bone dry and there was a 1 inch layer of metal shavings and bearings in the bottom of the case. I'll try to give a call this weekend to see what your up to. Thanks
Old 10-26-2003, 01:37 AM
WillyC4S
Racer

Roberto,

There are plans on the net for building a leakdown meter. I built one and it seems to work for me. Probably about $40 worth of parts.

Do a Google search.

Hope that helps.

Quick Reply: leakdown Gauge