Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire pressure...what psi do you run?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2003 | 04:14 PM
W88951
Burning Brakes

Matt,
200 ft/lbs is a bunch of torque, but will not snap a stud that was in previously good condition. In a previous vehichle I took my car in for service and had the brakes replaced (Under Warranty tee hee). When I recieved the car back, I used my torque wrench to see where they were torqued. My wrench will only go to 180 ft/lbs and was popping at that setting. I had to use my 1/2 wrench with a cheater bar to break it loose and the first time I tried I twisted off my 1/2 to 3/8 adapter. I was LIVID. Needless to say that the dealer replaced all of my studs and had them agree to replace 2 of my Borbet Wheels because my car developed a shudder after this occured. I assume that they bent the aluminum wheels. But I was soo mad that I never returned to that dealer again.

I have snapped older studs with far less torque. Also over tightend studs will stretch. Then they will break.

Also, Put anti-seeze compound on your studs otherwise they may rust and then you will certainly snap a stud.
Old 10-24-2003 | 04:19 PM
Matt H
Race Director

I tire shop will NEVER put antiseize on the studs. I do it at home but no shop in the world will do this. There is all kinds of liability in doing so. Anti-seize is (as far as a lawyer is concerned) a lubricant and the very last thing you want on a stud. I do it on mine but was barred from doing it at my stores. We would clean then studs but never put anything on them.

I believe someone screwed you! I dont doubt that at all. 200 ft/lbs will usually warp rotors as well as wheels. I am shocked they decided to pay for it. Most would have told you that you were just wrong.

BTW - we no longer use torque sticks for the reasons you listed, however, they do come pretty damn close to right 99% of the time. You just cant set a 500 ft/lbs gun on stun. Most of our guns are 200 ft/lbs max but tech do use their own.

Quick Reply: Tire pressure...what psi do you run?