Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can I just bleed the back brakes

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2016, 10:41 PM
Last Lemming
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Can I just bleed the back brakes

So while doing my clutch job and torque tube rebuild I had to drop the rear subframe with the suspension. In doing so I had to disconnect the rear brake lines for a moment. As soon as I disconnected the brake line I capped each open end with a rubber so the brake fluid would not leak out everywhere. I bled just the rear brakes. The pedal feels firm but I have not been able to start the car yet to get a real feel for them. The car is still up on jackstands on the rear and on ramps on the front.

When I bled the brakes with my power bleeder I got only a few bubbles from each side and then a constant stream. The car set a couple weeks with the caps on preventing brake fluid from leaking out. Is it possible that air could have migrated all the way up to the master cylinder with the caps on?
Old 08-10-2016, 11:04 PM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 49 Posts

I did something similar a few years ago when swapping tubes, didn't cap, sat for a week. Bled just rears with no problems.
Old 08-10-2016, 11:41 PM
jhowell371
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts

Listen to odonnell..
Old 08-11-2016, 11:24 AM
AgLiftPilot
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Once you bleed the rear calipers and get no more bubbles plus clean fluid, I would say it is good. I doubt you will have a problem with air in the single line that runs up from the rear to the master so long as you bled the system thoroughly. If anything, I would say there might a little bit of sponginess after a few miles of driving, then once you bleed them again it will be fine.

Any time I bleed the brakes on my race car, I use a plastic syringe to suck all the fluid out of the reservoir, then fill with new fluid, then bleed the brakes. This way I know I am pushing clean fluid through the lines and I can usually see the color change when the clean fluid starts to come out of the calipers.

Quick Reply: Can I just bleed the back brakes