Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speed / reference sensor question

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2016, 08:14 PM
Last Lemming
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Speed / reference sensor question

So I'm wrapping up my clutch job / torque tube rebuild project and I'm coming to the reinstallation of the speed and reference sensors.

I notice there is a brass washer beneath the speed sensor that has two holes, a small one for the bolt and a large one for the sensor. But I don't see one for the reference sensor. I don't know if it fell off when I removed the sensor or if it didn't have one to begin with. Can someone enlighten me?

Also I see holes to get the sensors back in, however the ground bolts are another thing all together. They are completely hidden by the heater hose. Any tricks to getting these reinstalled?
Old 08-01-2016, 10:49 PM
jvandyke
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm very much a newbie but it may be wise to just start taking things out of your way, even if you have to pull the intake off, the oil separator and all that, it all comes off and goes back on pretty easily I found.
We struggled mightily with these sensors a few weeks ago, now that the engine is out, it's pretty easy! I'm going to be sure to set the depth precisely before I put it back in!
Old 08-01-2016, 11:28 PM
Last Lemming
Burning Brakes

While I don't necessarily disagree, ive pulled my intake off several times, I've been on this project a month now and I'm ready to wrap it up! Getting to the sensors is pretty straight forward, it's just two little ground straps that are a bit difficult. I have half a mind to tie them together to a pigtail and relocate where they connect to the chassis. I'm just not sure of any negative consequences.

The real issue is the heater valve and hose. It's in the way of the grounding connections and to remove it means draining the coolant. Then I'll have the whole bleeding the cooling system on my hands again.

These damn turbo's are just pure evil when it comes to working on them!
Old 08-01-2016, 11:37 PM
jvandyke
Instructor

Oh, I can't imagine, our (my son and me) 924s is a cake walk compared to that I'd think. Maybe I should rig up a connector for our bell housing grounds while it's out of the car.
Old 08-02-2016, 01:26 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 287 Posts

There is only one figure 8 washer, so I think you are good on that front. I'm sure someone could come up with a way to get at those ground bolts with everything assembled, but I generally find that doing that sort of thing takes longer and is more frustrating than just doing it the normal way. I think with the intake off you'd have a fighting chance at installing the bolts without cracking open the cooling system. Those are very important grounds for the engine management system -- they're worth the effort to install as designed!
Old 08-02-2016, 11:20 PM
Last Lemming
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn
There is only one figure 8 washer, so I think you are good on that front. I'm sure someone could come up with a way to get at those ground bolts with everything assembled, but I generally find that doing that sort of thing takes longer and is more frustrating than just doing it the normal way. I think with the intake off you'd have a fighting chance at installing the bolts without cracking open the cooling system. Those are very important grounds for the engine management system -- they're worth the effort to install as designed!
Last night I came to the same conclusion. So tonight I removed the intake. Took about an hour. No biggie. I'm going to switch out the heater valve to an all metal one so my new clutch doesn't get ruined.
Old 08-04-2016, 03:37 PM
mikehayes
Racer

I put in a new clutch last week and after messing something up and destroying my throwout bearing, I had to tear it all down again. I did it the right way. Drained the coolant, removed the hose. Made the sensors/ground wires/top bellhousing bolt a piece of cake. Saved me hours literally. Only one washer, goes on the speed sensor. Although if you're that worried about it mine was missing and it runs perfectly.

Quick Reply: Speed / reference sensor question