Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Special thanks to Bob from Cochrane, AB, Canada

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2016, 06:28 PM
Noahs944
Race Car

Received 229 Likes on 168 Posts
Default Special thanks to Bob from Cochrane, AB, Canada

A week ago I got an unexpected invitation from a fellow 944 enthusiast. And one who lives pretty close to me. Bob from Cochrane told me he is moving and has a car that is kinda rough, but I can have it and a bunch of 944 stuff for free basically. "I would like to see it become a rally car one day". For 24 hours I envisioned a lifted, sway bar free, FIA caged 1983 porsche... ripping up the back roads and showing no mercy!

I won't lie. The 944 is my FAVOURITE Porsche. Sure I like others, but I LOVE the 44. And the chance to not be limited by compromise (as I do with my "dual purpose" built car Wilson) peaked my attention.

Hmmm, a free 944 and lotsa 944 stuff.
... that's a tough proposition to turn down!

So here I go, coffee in hand with my pal Bearded Brian in the diesel Dodge pulling trailer behind.

We arrive at our destination. Cochrane. Bob and his lovely family greet Brian and I.

Now I've had the pleasure to chat with Bob once over the phone, but never met the man. Bob has been messing with these cars for 15 years and knows them intimately. Before his 944s he was ice racing a Datsun 240. That says a lot about a guy... his outgoing nature, classy taste & passion for excitement and driving.

So we met. We talked. He needs stuff gone pronto. And I left with more than I expected... a truck box full of goodies & I even got a complete Porsche engine out of the deal!

Unbelievable. Thank you Bob, for your gracious generosity.

Last edited by Noahs944; 08-02-2016 at 08:50 AM.
Old 08-01-2016, 06:43 PM
Noahs944
Race Car

The panic in my nervous system set in as we pulled away from Cochrane.

"I didn't tell my wife".

"Hahaha... " Brian laughs but I can't shake the uneasy feeling. An emergency phone call is dialed on my cell "Mark, please meet me at the garage. We have another Porsche and boxes of parts to unload". Mark meets us because he's solid like that & we unload boxes & push the shiny black 83 into the narrow slot in the garage.

"Dammm son, that looks so perfect." I have NEVER seen bearded Brian gush over a 944 so badly. And he was right... that car had STANCE. It looked really really good.

"Put a car cover on it and she'll never know". We all laugh. The boys leave & I bravely walk through the back door of the house.

LaVonne is there. She looks pale and sick. "What did you bring home?"
I described this "fantastic deal, and how Bob was moving and needed it gone & this makes so much sense because..."

But I was in the type of trouble so deep a regular shovel won't do any good.

Last edited by Noahs944; 08-02-2016 at 08:52 AM.
Old 08-01-2016, 06:55 PM
Noahs944
Race Car

So things didn't go so well and LaVonne was quiet. I felt her distance & my fears were realized when I came back from buying flowers & found the door locked. Discussion about divorce and selling the house. I guess her feelings and thoughts had been growing and I failed to notice.

I acknowledged her feelings and agreed "I have a problem".
As a kid it was drugs. Then it was bicycling. Now Porsche. I can't help it, when I like something I go "***** deep"... there is no denying.

May I also add this? Straight from my heart. My life has NOT been better since owning Gramps. It's been worse than when I owned only Wilson (in other words one car made me happier than two). So why did I bring home a third? And is it worth a divorce? I already have so much Porsche junk that I can barely move in the garage & now I just brought home more? Is there a meeting room for Porsche addicts? Please sign me up because I have a problem!
Old 08-01-2016, 07:07 PM
Noahs944
Race Car

So with a sinking heart, I punish myself by selling everything... EVERYTHING!! Wilson? You ugly sonofabeaotch - I love you and your loyal UNBEATABLE service, mate... but you are GONE.

Gramps? You muthfukka, you have taken me for almost all I'm worth and you NEVER give back. You are GONE.

83 944... (I don't have a name for you yet. sorry)... but you are OUTTA HERE.

I spend several hours a day cataloguing and advertising any parts of value... priced low so they go!

My first customer is a local guy, just 2 blocks away who buys my lowering springs. ANd 2 days later picks up the 83 for a price he can't refuse. I think this is a good home, as I have seen his car "builds" and the man has a real eye for aesthetics and already has 2 other 944s. I will continue to keep tabs with the 83's new dad and I hope Bob can be happy with the end result also.

Old 08-01-2016, 07:11 PM
Noahs944
Race Car

LaVonne & I continue to talk & this weekend we had an amazing experience in the mountains in horse drawn carriages.

Old 08-01-2016, 07:22 PM
Noahs944
Race Car

My wife encourages me to sell everything off besides Wilson & some basic spares for him. She knows the strong connection I have with the white car. "Make him Great and get rid of all the excess clutter and garbage".

So that's what I'm doing. Downsizing to save my marriage & make life a little better. No more hoarding.

--------------------
Today Mark and I took Wilson on some delicious back roads into the hills & mountains... a fabulous blend of tarmac twisties and just shredding up the gravel roads in 3rd & 4th gear. Burnt up a full tank. Sensational experience.

Wilson. Thank you for your service. You are my hero! I won't sell you buddy.

And Bob, I bow to your generosity, thank you for providing me and Wilson with some excellent car parts for years to come.

Last edited by Noahs944; 08-07-2016 at 12:40 PM.
Old 08-01-2016, 08:01 PM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts

Damn! I'm not sure how I would flip if a girl I was serious with said something like "it's me or the Porsche." I'd probably be sobbing on my Momo as I drove away glad you're being true to what matters the most to you.
Old 08-01-2016, 08:49 PM
StoogeMoe
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by odonnell
Damn! I'm not sure how I would flip if a girl I was serious with said something like "it's me or the Porsche." I'd probably be sobbing on my Momo as I drove away glad you're being true to what matters the most to you.
Quote from Jeff Beck, famous guitar player.
'My first wife said, "it's either that guitar or me", you know - and I'll give you three guesses which one went.'
Old 08-01-2016, 08:54 PM
thomasmryan
Drifting

Received 121 Likes on 89 Posts

I tried to think like a woman once....I got a headache.
Old 08-02-2016, 08:29 AM
curtisr
Rennlist Member

Received 71 Likes on 59 Posts

On the subject of marriage, Gibran's The Prophet said "Let there be spaces in your togetherness." Now I know he was talking about the car.

I am glad that things are on the mend.

My recipe for marital success has included:

1. Use the car as an excuse to take my wife to events such as Augustoberfest. In fact, I searched for a P Car festival in the Cape Cod area so we could take the car but the focus was on fun for her (she is a descendant of the Mayflower pilgrims).

2. Kids help with car restoration.

3. His and hers P Cars.
Old 08-02-2016, 09:40 AM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Received 835 Likes on 524 Posts

You've got to make a decision. Hopefully you are making the right one.

I went through this about ten years ago. Divorce turned out to be one of the best things I ever did. Wish I had seen it earlier. We have kids - so that was the biggest worry and reason for the long agonizing delay.

Not to say that is the right choice for anyone else. All I can say is I have found the best woman ever. Let's call her "DrGoodwench" - since that's what she goes by here.

We share a love of cars and fun. We got her a 944 after we started dating. She's had one ever since. I could start a whole thread on how my life has become magnificent since meeting her (actually I did over on Reutterwerk).

Do what makes you happy. You should be able to share this with your significant other. If not - there are other options.

We're all pulling for you. Keep your stick on the ice.

Last edited by Scott at Team Harco; 08-02-2016 at 11:09 AM.

Quick Reply: Special thanks to Bob from Cochrane, AB, Canada