Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT: Subaru wrx STI

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2003, 01:22 PM
944S2NUT
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by oi-punx
I'm not much for new cars at all, but the STi seems to be a lot of bang for the buck (kind of like used 951's). It definitely has caught my attention. For kicks a couple of weeks ago I checked out the local Subaru dealership and it appears to be a very nice car with sport seats, forged 18's, big Brembos, a water sprayed intercooler, etc. The styling is kind of a mixed bag with some parts being a bit overstated (i.e. intercooler scoop and wing). With 300 horse out of the box though it is understandable.

Personally I like the styling and it's nice to see that some companies are making some affordable sportscars again.

Affordable? You did check the price of that car when you were there right?
Old 10-22-2003, 01:53 PM
porklover
Advanced

Also most of us in US service our 944 every 3k anyway (when they say 6K service is mostly oil change).
This is fine if you keep the car from new and aren't planning to sell after a period of time. In my experience, buyers like to see those stamps in your log book. Dealer service history will enable you to sell the car for more.
Old 10-22-2003, 02:15 PM
oi-punx
Racer

Affordable? You did check the price of that car when you were there right?

Yes. No doubt $30k is a lot of cash to spend on a car. However relative to what you are getting for the money I still maintain that it is an incredible bang for the buck. There doesn't seem to be much else besides the Evo that offers that level of performance in that price range. Also I have seen and driven in a few older Subarus that were well past the 200k mark and still going strong. Time will tell if the STi was engineered to last.
Old 10-22-2003, 04:34 PM
spidey
Instructor

I own a WRX (modified) and have driven both stock and modified STi's and EVO's. I'm one of the few who like the 2.0L's ready to rev nature, but its hard to argue with the extra down low ummph of the 2.5L. The STi is so easy to drive fast, and it loves getting sideways. It will be a very good auto-x car once people figure out how to get a little better turn in out of it. The EVO stock is a nice car, but with and $ put into it is an absolute rip. Turn in is ridiculous and the engine really screams with some aggressive cams. I can attest to the engineering behind the STi (like BMW's M cars) as I have upgraded many parts on my WRX to their STi counterparts (tranny and such). The STi stuff takes a tremendous beating on the track without a whelp of complaint. For 30K you cannot touch this car performance wise, it'll run with cars more than twice as expensive. In fact a well prepped WRX in the hands of the right driver can embarrass many an expensive marque (that can be said for many 'cheap' cars example: honda's).
Old 10-22-2003, 05:30 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The one I drove was not awe-inspiring. BTW - anyone buying a car without a test drive must be a dumb-*** (which is why a Hyabusa does not live in my garage). I personally, didnt like the feel of the AWD, it felt like constant understeer to me. They are terrific auto crossers, likely to have their own class at some point. They were not that quick at TWS but to be fair I dont know any of the drivers, they could all be novices. I think it is too much money for a Subaru when you consider what you could buy. They wouldnt be new but you could buy a lot of other cars. The good news is that Subarus hold almost no resale so getting a good second hand one should be easy. Most "kids" cannot afford them and most adults are doing the upgrades in a non rigged manor. Of course, that is just my .02 dollars.
Old 10-22-2003, 06:44 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

So, two cannibals are eating a clown.
One turns to the other and says:
"Does this taste funny to you?"

Tifo
Old 10-22-2003, 06:45 PM
lswanie
Instructor

Originally posted by 4Runner
It's a 2.5 in US
whoops, idk what i was thinking
Old 10-22-2003, 06:49 PM
Baron009
Pro

Make sure they'll insure you before you get a 951 right when you turn sixteen and also make sure you can afford it all.

Old 10-22-2003, 06:50 PM
Fishey
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Affordable?
I an buy a Carrara 4 993 for that kind of money...
Old 10-22-2003, 07:02 PM
Jake951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

If you're looking just for straight-line speed, then there's the SVT Cobra for around $35k. It will easily dust the STI and Evo, and everything else in its price class, once you're off the line. You do give up the AWD, if that matters. On the other hand, the Cobra, like every Mustang, is a bit rough around the edges, too.
Old 10-23-2003, 11:22 AM
spidey
Instructor

Matt H: I agree on the no-test drive thing being insanely stupid, but when dealers get only 2 or three of them...they don't want joe schmo trying to be petter solberg with their 'halo car'. They are decent auto-x cars in stock form...but they'll never get their own class (esp in SCCA), they'll never even be dominant in a class either. Turbo's get killed in A stock (where the EVO and STi sit) by the Corvettes. It's going to get interesting in Street Mod if people put the money into them, but other than that they'll be middle of the pack. AWD drive does have some push to it, but it can be alleviated with a proper suspension setup. My car drives like RWD when I want it to.

And yes you can go out and get a really nice used porsche for 30k, but then you won't have a warranty (find the right mod-friendly dealer of course), and the aftermarket goodies are much cheaper for the scoob.

The new mustang cobra (4.6L supercharged) has one of the best torque curves I have ever seen with a chip,exhaust and pulley. 428ft/lbs starting at ~2000 RPM and staying there all the way to redline. Sick, no one should be buying a 4 banger for straightline speed.
Old 10-24-2003, 11:57 AM
1990_S2
Track Day

Ain't no thang.

Econo-box with a big motor (subaru needs to can their "design" staff - even Volvo has finally started getting a handle on car design). Been "discovered" over and over. Hell, a Honda Accord's got 240HP out of the box: BFD.

Purely disposable but certainly fun ride. $30k ain't no bargin, you'll lose it all over 5 years (if the car survives that long) or half that in 2 years just like any other new car.

Like the old MoPar muscle cars I think most will wind up wrapped around trees and other fixed objects in the hands of novices and PAKs.

Can't wait to see how they hold up to the beatings. 993 friend indicates that they'll stay velcroed to his bumper til midway through 5th gear BUT he's still got one more gear to grab...buh-bye. Not bad for a off-road ricer(=^})
Old 10-24-2003, 01:33 PM
porschefig
Three Wheelin'

hi guys....ill never buy anything that isnt american or german/italian...
however my mom is somewhat interested in the new mazda rx-8...thats another 30K dollar car...how does it compare.....i know i sat in a brand new wrx a few years back and everything about it felt cheeeeeeap...somebody said the EVO VII'z are cheaper yet inside...mom got to spend some time looking at the RX and she figured it cost more then 30K...
Old 10-24-2003, 04:33 PM
jjmson20
Addict
Rennlist Member

rx-8 def has the best style/interior and everything out of those 3, performance wise im not too sure, i think the evo beats all.

Quick Reply: OT: Subaru wrx STI