Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine swaps for 944

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2003, 05:18 PM
Canuck
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the help & advice.

I printed out the Rengade-Hybrid info yesterday and took it to the local shop with me. Haven't quite decided what to do with my 944 yet, but as a result of yesterday's visit am doing an engine swap into my cherry '79 Toy 4x4. Less than 100k miles on it...bought it new and have owned it 24 years. Just want more power for it.

Discussed the V-8 swap into 944 with some knowledgeable people and am down to two different egnines if I go that route...Lt-1, or new Rover (Oldsmobile) engine.

I do understand the pleasures and displeasures of engine swaps, just haven't had much experience with German cars, other than that I used to buy a new M-B SL every couple of years.

Have owned some machinery that required understanding, though. In the very early '50s had a T-bucket with a 3/8-square 48-AB block, all Offy top side, Isky cam, 3 Stromberg 97's, built bottom end, the whole enchilada for the day. Then went to building hemi's in the mid-late '50s, and had an AH Sebring in 1959, then a Lotus 11, then a new XKE Mark 1 in '64. Had Cosworth Ford engineed Lotus in the '70's, as well as built several 'Vettes using such things as Gulstrand suspension/Traco engines. Also at another time built a Cad-engined '49 Ford pickup.

One thing suggested was putting a 951 engine in the 944. Are there kits available for that? Where would a guy start to look to find a 951 engine?

I could just throw this 944 away, as retail value WITH a running 944 engine is only about $3,000 locally. But I hate to do that...this one has numerous suspension tweaks such as bigger sway bars, strut-towers tied together, BIG gas shocks, etc., and it is cherry inside and out and has pretty much ALL the factory options of its time.

Anyway, thanks again for all the help & info. If you think of any more suggestions, tweaks, warnings, sources of engines, whatever related to this subject, I'd sure like to hear them, either through this list, or direct to me at canuck@ramcell.net

Best wishes,

Canuck
Old 10-22-2003, 07:12 PM
Canuck
Intermediate

Update -

Just talked with my local Porsche shop again. They recommend putting in an LT-1 engine rather than replacing the Porsche mill. They think all that is wrong with my engine is a warped head, after a leak-down test, but of course we wouldn't know that for sure 'til we pretty much got it apart.

They have done several of the Renegade-Hybrid conversions and like them. They used to recommend against them, but as they did several, they found the conversions worked out really well. They also point out we can buy a brand new 'Vette engine for less than the parts to repair mine, if any of my pistons have bitten the dirt. Also, will get about twice the HP in the deal. And can get a little back by selling my Porsche engine, which was really in great shape until this incident. Had just had the belts, rollers, water pump, etc., all replaced and engine has under 100K on it since factory new. .

Their one warning is, you gotta really like your car to do the conversion, as the converted ones are apparently very difficult to sell. As I have no intention of selling mine anyway, that is just fine.

So, I told them "go for it". Am sending them $2,500 in today's mail to get the conversion underway. Estimated total cost, $4k to $4.5K.

Thanks again for the help, y'all.

Canuck
Old 10-22-2003, 07:19 PM
Russian Rocket
Pro

I guess i'm too late for this parade I'd go with a 951 swap, buying a salvaged 951, pullling tranny/engine all the hardware out and intalling it on the NA is a PITA, but you get an Engine and tranny that were meant to work together. I spent Hundreds of hours researching this option as i'll be doing it once my NA get's tired. I don't think you'll spend over $5K either.
+ you can swap the brakes and all needed upgrades right away. NA tranny won't hold that V8 torque for too long. Good luck! hope everything works out!
Vlad.
Old 10-23-2003, 12:33 AM
adie
Pro

I used a N/A tranny for 2 years and it was OK for what I did, I did break a 2.0 drive shaft once though, I went to the turbo 944 ones after that. The chevy conversion looks like the way to go on this side of the pond, despite what everyone else may say, next time this thread comes up you can say I did 'xyz', rather than the usual I would do 'xyz'. I can't wait for my new car's engine to go bang so I can justify the conversion.

Quick Reply: Engine swaps for 944