Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

why do my alternators keep dying?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2003, 10:27 AM
JJ951
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default why do my alternators keep dying?!?!

The one that came with the car lasted from may to october. I replaced it in october, in january the timing belt broke. In may the car was running again, but a month later the alternator slowly started going (as some of you may remember my posts.) The new one is starting to go slowly again. the car is now off the road for the winter, and i should most likely replace it while i am doing the clutch, but why does it keep dying.
TIA
-John
Old 10-20-2003, 10:32 AM
Sam Lin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Is the ventilation hose and cover hooked up?

Sam
Old 10-20-2003, 10:36 AM
JJ951
Racer

i have the cover but it won't fit on the new alternator, the threads on the studs aren't long enough, but it shouldn't kill it in 3 months. i will make sure the new one has long enough studs.

-John
Old 10-20-2003, 10:44 AM
Bryan
Burning Brakes

Welcome to the world of rebuilt accessories. Alternators, starters, etc. The originals on the car last 15+ years, then get replaced with rebuilt units that last about 2 years apiece if you're lucky. The best part is you have no choice. Rebuilt is all that's available (excluding used parts). Personally, I'd pay double the price or more for a NEW starter or alternator that'll last another decade and a half like the originals.

Bryan
Old 10-20-2003, 10:57 AM
sm
Drifting

Received 72 Likes on 60 Posts

John,

I don't know if Autozone has alternators for our cars, but if they do, they also carry a lifetime warranty. Check with them just to be sure...
Old 10-20-2003, 11:30 AM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The heat, especially with a 951, will kill the alternator diodes pretty quick so make sure you have the heat shield and cooling vent hose hooked up on the replacement.

Another item is how big a load you are placing on the alternator, such as a monster sound system. The trade rule of thumb is you don't want to load the alternator over 80% of rated capacity for over 20% of usage. Emergency vehicles/cop cars go through alternators like candy when they leave the car at idle with all the lights flashing.

It is a shame that the rebuilding industry puts out so many marginal rebuilts that are hardly worth the effort to install. I guess you could try and fit a new Delco on the car. I don't know exactly what it would take to mount but there were some 924 owners that managed to do it and have a write-up floating around somewhere.
Old 10-20-2003, 01:56 PM
DerSchlechtSpecht
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can also kill the alternator by over tensioning the accessory belt.

Christian
Old 10-20-2003, 02:08 PM
Dlefko
Burning Brakes

check your grounds. I know that my bad grounds were putting such a strain on my alternator that it would make a really distinct whining sound and eventually fail. check for corrosion and connection.
Old 10-21-2003, 12:49 AM
turrbo
Intermediate

where can you find the cooling vent hose no luck at Autozone any ideas?

thanks.

http://photos.yahoo.com/p95186
Old 10-21-2003, 12:57 AM
Jeremy Himsel
Addict
Rennlist Member

You can pick up a metal flex hose at Home Depot in the drier/ventilation section that will work and looks pretty good as well.
Old 10-21-2003, 10:47 PM
dmsog
Instructor

Originally posted by Bryan
Welcome to the world of rebuilt accessories. Alternators, starters, etc. The originals on the car last 15+ years, then get replaced with rebuilt units that last about 2 years apiece if you're lucky. The best part is you have no choice. Rebuilt is all that's available (excluding used parts). Personally, I'd pay double the price or more for a NEW starter or alternator that'll last another decade and a half like the originals.

Bryan
I take offense at your broad comment concerning the rebuilding industry. Sure, the starters and alternators you get from the chain stores won't last, and that's because they use parts that a conscientious rebuilder would throw away. It's all about cost with them, and they're happy to run the risk of a return since some of their sold units don't come back. They play the law of averages. Certain alternator parts have a finite life span; they can only do so many heat cycles before they fail.....but if they test good, the chain stores reuse them. On the other hand, if you have your stuff rebuilt by a local rebuilding shop with a good reputation there is no reason the stuff won't last as long as the originals.
I am the owner of a starter-alternator shop that has been in the same location for 28 years and I am ASE Certified. I do ALL of my own work and use only the best parts. I have in stock (and ready to go) a starter and an alternator from my '86 951 that is undergoing a V8 conversion. The next time you need either unit, try mine and you'll eat your words. <g>

Doug
Old 10-22-2003, 02:42 PM
mick944
Instructor

Default Air filter

After removing stock airbox(mistake) and installing performance cone unit(alledgedly),my alternator went out(burnt) shortly there after.Thinking that with more open space in the engine compartment(airbox quite large)(should have known Germans design with a purpose)that it would(should) be cooler.What was actually happening instead was the new air design was drawing the cool airaway from the alt. and infact, contributing the premature failure .A little better relocating and I have been OK for awhile.If had to do over again,would have left stock set up.Good luck.

Quick Reply: why do my alternators keep dying?!?!